Sassy74 Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 5:19am
post #1 of

I finally bought a big ol' 50lb block of Sweetex!  Yes, I know that may not be the most exciting news to some, but I'm pretty stoked about it :).  I've been using Sugarshacks recipe for a few years, and I really love it.  I've done tons of trial and error and found a local shortening that has trans-fats that works really well, but there's still a bit of graininess to it that I'm hoping the Sweetex cures.  

I paid $111 for it, delivered.  Is this a good price, do you think?  It seems that every source I found charged around $25-28 for delivery.  And no, I cannot get it, or anything like it, locally :(.  

So, when it arrives later this week, I'll be diligently dividing that sucker up into 3lb chunks to freeze.  I can get 16 6 qt batches of buttercream out of that, so at the very least, I'll save 16 trips across town to that one grocery store I never go to, except to buy a particular brand of shortening lol.

7 replies
Apti Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 7:50am
post #2 of

Good for you!  You have every right to be totally stoked!   I did the happy dance when I used Hi-Ratio for the first time. 

(Does this make us weird?  That I'm happy you just bought 50 lbs. of  fat?)

tdovewings Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 12:38pm
post #3 of

YEAH! Good for you!

Funny you posted this. I've finally started getting enough orders to justify buying the 50# and I'm ordering from foodservicedirect today. I currently buy mine from a local shop, but it is so expensive in those 3lb tubs.

I know some hate it, but everything I do  is dairy-free and it makes the world of difference when you can't use dairy products for frosting.

newbaker55 Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 2:03pm
post #4 of

HECK YEAH that's a good priceicon_eek.gif  Would love to get my hands on THAT deal ! Can't get hi ratio shortening unless I order online and what I've found is $5-6 per pound before shipping cost is added. Too high for my hobby baking.

I've been using a store brand shortening that the trans-fat police must have overlooked and it's $6.59 for a 3lb can. plus tax...yes, TAX on food items in Arkansasicon_cry.gif so $2.22 per pound on Sweetex seems like a dream come true! Mind sharing where you got it?

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:01pm
post #5 of

AI use Alpine I get from Bakemark for $58. I wonder if there is a difference? I love my icing, but I'm always open to improvement. I have never seen any comparisons in icing made from different shortenings, like I see with fondant, someone ought to do it :-)

I hate Vremay or however it is spelled. I worked with it at a shop, and our cakes would be cracked the next day.

inspiredbymom Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:34pm
post #6 of

Sassy74:  I'm excited for you too!  That stuff is AWESOME!!!  I love it!  I have to order mine in too.  I tried calling the company to find it closer than Florida, but they were no help.  So, I continue to order it and pay shipping.  It is still worth it because of the way it handles.  

Annabakescakes:  I have not done a comparison, but I had a chance to order Penguin or Sweetex.  I talked to Sharon, (aka Sugarshack) and she told me to stick with Sweetex to get the results.  She may have had tried others in the past.  I don't know but that would be a place to start. I did  get a bucket of Penquin locally but I want to try it on my personal stuff first.  Just haven't had time to play!

Sassy74 Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 6:28pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti 

Good for you!  You have every right to be totally stoked!   I did the happy dance when I used Hi-Ratio for the first time. 

(Does this make us weird?  That I'm happy you just bought 50 lbs. of  fat?)

Yes, I had the same thought!  How strange am I for celebrating that I found a good price on emulsified fat lol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55 

HECK YEAH that's a good priceicon_eek.gif  Would love to get my hands on THAT deal ! Can't get hi ratio shortening unless I order online and what I've found is $5-6 per pound before shipping cost is added. Too high for my hobby baking.

I've been using a store brand shortening that the trans-fat police must have overlooked and it's $6.59 for a 3lb can. plus tax...yes, TAX on food items in Arkansasicon_cry.gif so $2.22 per pound on Sweetex seems like a dream come true! Mind sharing where you got it?

I ordered from foodservicedirect.  It's $83, plus $28 for delivery, and that was the best price I found.  I also went back and forth about ordering Alpine, but the best delivered price I found on the Alpine was $100, so I thought it was worth the extra $11 to be sure I was getting a great brand.  It would be very interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two brands, as I know some ppl love Alpine and it is a bit less expensive.

The store brand I've been using is $5.19 plus tax for a 3lb tub, so the Sweetex is a bit more for me to pay, but I am pretty sure it will be worth it.  I'm also a hobby baker, and I've waited years to order this stuff because I just couldn't justify forking out over $100 for shortening. 

So here I sit, impatiently waiting for my shortening, and a little more excited about it's delivery than I am about Christmas icon_biggrin.gif.

tdovewings Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 1:56pm
post #8 of

I know it seems like a lot to pay for fat, but it is $2.22 per pound. Not a one to one comparison since I've never looked into buying 50lbs of butter, but butter is about $2.25/lb if you get it at Costco or $3.99/lb in the grocery store. And shortening is shelf stable. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%