I'm A Beginner, Please Excuse My Silly Question

Decorating By kiki25 Updated 22 Nov 2012 , 1:23pm by kiki25

kiki25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki25 Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 12:11am
post #1 of 9

I know this maybe a silly question but I am attempting to decorate my first cake today. I have always been puzzled on one particular thing...after you crumb coat your cake when you place it in the refrigerator/freezer, is it covered or uncovered?

8 replies
mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 12:49am
post #2 of 9

I crumb coat my cakes and have never put it in either one. I just let it rest a while. I usually do some dishes while I wait for it to set. icon_smile.gif

mommachris

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 1:03am
post #3 of 9

Some people do put their cakes in the freezer or fridge for a little time , then finish the final b/c.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 1:16am
post #4 of 9

I put mine in the fridge.  Have coffee, do the dishes.  Then put on the final coat and finish decorating.

Good luck with the cake.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 2:08am
post #5 of 9

Hi kiki25,

If by uncovered you mean just the crumb coated cake on it's own in the fridge (I have a separate cake fridge so no chance of leftover chilli or anything smelly being near the cake) without any clingfilm or anything then yes, that's what I do. Crumb coat, in the fridge (uncovered), let it set and then do a layer of buttercream and whack that back in the fridge to set.

Cheers, J

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 6:29am
post #6 of 9

For over 30 yrs I have made b'creamed cakes.  Crumb coat does NOT need to be friged nor put in the fzr.

It should dry to the touch within 15 minutes or less at room temp! 

A great crumb coat is to take some of your b/cream icing in a microwave safe bowl and 'zap' on high for about 10 seconds until it melts :)  You don't want to 'cook' it - just melt it and it doesn't need to be completely melted - just mostly, then stir it until completely melted.  Work quickly to spread this over the top of the cake, then down & around the sides.  It will dry almost instantly - into a glaze like a glazed donut!  You sould be able to tell when the cake is coated enough as it will change color just enough to see the difference.

Dont melt too much - any leftover must be thrown out - it cannot be heated again nor added to your basic b'cream - believe me I have tried :)

kiki25 Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 6:31am
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much for the info. I meant covered as in covered in saran wrap versus putting it in the fridge or freezer without being covered with any type of cling wrap or dome cover. Sorry for not being clear enough earlier.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 7:24am
post #8 of 9

I cover with saran wrap before sticking it in the freezer. If it's going to be  a while before I get back to it, then that goes into a cake carrier/dome and then the fridge.

I use SMBC which is noncrusting, meaning it will not have a 'dry' surface (crust) when left out at room temp.

kiki25 Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks vgcea and everyone for the help. Happy Turkey Day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%