Help Me Design/lay-Out My Shop Space.

Business By majormichel Updated 6 Sep 2012 , 3:59am by majormichel

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 4:03am
post #1 of 4

I am finally moving forward. I found a space to host my cake studio. It is 1,200 sq ft (see photo attach). Here are my ideas:

Showroom/Reception area - the whole right wall will have a built in shelf that display various decorated cakes. 2 chairs and a table for clients to be seated until the consultation will also be next to the built in shelf. The left will be split into two separate areas, for consultation and my office.

The warehouse - I am not sure how I should lay out the kitchen. The kitchen will have 4 separate areas (baking, decorating, making gum paste flowers and storage.

Any suggestions how to sub-divide the warehouse area. OR other ideas on what should I include in the kitchen (built in shelving, etc.)
LL

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 7:47am
post #2 of 4

The way your contractor tells you is the cheapest and that complies with health dept codes.

You will find that as you design your "dream" kitchen, it will cost multi thousands more than what a contractor, familiar with the codes, can design.

Have you gotten your buildout pricing yet? If not, please do that before you sign your lease. The buildout can easily be upwards of $100K for raw space (avg).

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 12:37am
post #3 of 4

A new work space, how exciting! Your contractor will know the most logical (cheapest) placement for plumbing, gas hook-ups, venting, etc. (Susan is right, the buildout will cost way more than the estimates.)

I suggest you draw a floor plan using graph paper. Do everything to scale. For all your equipment, use little cut outs labeled with their purpose - oven, cooler, sink, workbench, etc. Then move these around on the floor plan until you find what works for your needs.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 3:59am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for responding. MimiFix love the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%