Cheesecake Tier In Wedding Cake?

Decorating By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 7 Sep 2012 , 3:54am by DeniseNH

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:07am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever done this? I have a bride and groom asking if they can have the top tier of their wedding cake be cheesecake. It would be a three tier (8, 10, 12 square) and they want the 8 inch to be cheesecake and the others to be regular cake.

I know cheesecake can be iced and decorated, we've done it before. My main concern would be structure and making sure the weight of the cheesecake is not too much for the rest of the cake. Of course we would use structure inside so the weight wouldn't be on the tiers below anyway, like always. But I guess I am just paranoid, since cheesecake is usually heavier than regular cake. Also because in order to get the correct height to match the other tiers, we would need to do probably a double layer of cheesecake.

Thoughts?

6 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 7

I have never done this, but I would think that if you put a double tier-8 inch on top it would amount to the same weight of a cheesecake. Just beef up your supports on each tier.
Let us know how it works out.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 7

Use SPS. All of the weight is transferred to the structure, none to the cake. The weight is not a problem then.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 7

I've done cheesecake tiers intermingled with regular cake before, and I just use regular wooden dowels. BUT...if they want the top tier and they're planning on saving it I wouldn't do it. By the time they go to eat it later it will have been sitting around for however long. Not good for food safety.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 2:05am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone! This really helps. icon_smile.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 3:54am
post #7 of 7

That was my thought. If anything contains cheese or fresh fruit, my state won't allow it to be left unrefrigerated for the several hours a cake is on display at a wedding and we'd get fined if we did it. Tell them you'll make them a nice fresh 6" cheesecake for their first anniversary. Or suggest they have a cheesecake placed in the back of the wedding cake - to cut and serve each other if that's what they really want but have it brought out from the kitchen refrigerator at the last minute so that no one gets sick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%