How Soon Can I Start Baking And Freezing My Cake Layers?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 3 Aug 2012 , 7:01am by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 6

I usually bake and freeze my cakes one week before the cake is due. I would like to start baking now for a cake that is due on 9/1. I have a chest freezer that doesn't defrost for cleaning so the cakes layers would be frozen until removed for thawing. I normally wouldn't bake this early but I work full time and have to bake 20 layers of cake. Thank you.

5 replies
Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 6

I would think they'd be fine as long as you wrap them well. Freezing isn't something I do routinely, but I've stored experimental recipe cake layers for more than a month before feeding to my guinea pigs (aka my family) with no ill effects.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 6

Cake can last up to 3 months in the freezer so long as they don't get freezer burn. I'd start now if it were me.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 6

Start as soon as you'd like. If wrapped properly, cake can easily be frozen for 6-12 months or longer. Wedding cake top tiers are frozen for a year for the 1st anniversary all the time, and can taste just as good as day one.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 6

Go get started NOW!!! As long as they are well wrapped they will be just fine.
There were times I had found a layer I had forgotten - that got shoved to the back/bottom and forgotten for as long as 8-10 months and it was still good.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 7:01am
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone. I normally just wrap my cakes well with plastic wrap but I have read some posts about also wrapping them in foil. How many of you use foil and plastic wrap? I know some people don't like using foil because of the aluminum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%