Wasc Question - Dryness

Decorating By Kosha Updated 2 Aug 2012 , 10:57pm by Pearl645

Kosha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kosha Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:05am
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I like the WASC recipe, its basic, mostly reliable and good to taste. But, I realize that its a bit on a the dry side once baked. A couple of my clients have also mentioned that the cake were a little dry. I've tried using pudding filling and also buttercream. But, that doesnt help much because you can only use so much filling.

Any suggestions for making this recipe a little more moist than it is, would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

10 replies
funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:30am
post #2 of 11

Wow... I.ve made it quite a bit and it is by far the moistess spelling icon_confused.gif I've ever made. That is the first thing everyone comments on is how moist it is. I don't know what you could be doing . How do you store it once its baked?

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 11

I've had this problem before, too. Have you tried adding a pudding mix into the cake batter? That helps. Also, what liquid are you using? Water or milk? I've found that using whole milk is best. It introduces more fat which makes for a moister cake.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 11

Please tell us which WASC recipe you're using--and how long and at what temp you are baking.

I honestly can't see the recipe I use EVER being even close to dry--mine uses 1 lb. of sourcream, 4TBSP of oil, 2 2/3 C of water, 6 whole eggs or 8 egg whites--that's a whole lot of moisture.
I generally use Duncan Hines mixes and a box of instant pudding mix per cake mix. If anything, sometimes my cakes seem a bit too moist, even when properly baked.

Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 11

Are you *SURE* you are using the *original* WASC recipe?? http://cakecentral.com/recipe/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe ... And following the baking insturctions?? I just cannot understand that recipe ever baking up dry!
What band of mix are you using? It just does not make any scense to me that it is coming out dry.

Kosha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kosha Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 11

I should say, its either dry or too dense. I use the original WASC recipe, exactly the way its written. Sometimes, I may have to bake it for additional 10 mins depends on the pan size.
I've never used pudding mix in my recipe though. What's the size of the instant pudding mix box that you use? Also, do you use one box for each recipe?

Thanks

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 11

I always add oil to the WASC recipe - - it usually is a little dry.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosha

I should say, its either dry or too dense. I use the original WASC recipe, exactly the way its written. Sometimes, I may have to bake it for additional 10 mins depends on the pan size.
I've never used pudding mix in my recipe though. What's the size of the instant pudding mix box that you use? Also, do you use one box for each recipe?

Thanks

Well, I'll say that 10 mins. past "done" will equal a dry cake because of the carry over baking that occurs during cooling............

I use 1 small box of dry instant pudding mix per Duncan Hines cake mix, so (2 boxes/full WASC batch.
I don't add it with Betty Crocker or Pillsbury--brands I use infrequently--because those mixes already have "pudding in the mix" per the labels.

Rae

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 1:22am
post #9 of 11

Your problem is due to over-baking. I have baked many WASC cakes and I know what you are talking about. There is a fine line with testing doneness for a WASC cake and I assume it has to do with the sour cream in it. Your cake tester will come out clean or with some crumbs on it but not gooey cake batter. The top of your cake needs to be springy to the touch. Also, baking your cakes one layer at a time will help significantly. I have made lots of changes over the years. I used to bake cakes 3" H all the time. Overbakes. Try baking 1" or 2" H layers with bake even strips or you can make your own strips at home. This ought to solve your problem. It solved mine with WASC.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 11

Pearl has some good advice.
You mention that maybe it is 'too dense'. This recipe is meant to be dence - much like a pound cake. It's not really light and fluffy.
I think there might be something wrong w/your oven if you are having to bake it 10 minutes longer. 1st of all I don't bake by an actual time amount but rather by 'my nose'/the smell. I usually was very busy while the cakes were baking and didn't pay that much to the actual amount of time. I just knew when I could smell that wonderful aroma they were done - or within a few minutes of done icon_smile.gif 10 min is a rather long amount of extra time. Are you using 2" deep pans? That's what the recipe & instructions are based on.
One does not need bake even strips if everything (oven temp etc) is right on - oh, maybe for a 16"er but that's about the only size. The cake should bake up just fine w/o them - nice and even with out that hump in the middle.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, WASC is a dense cake which I find is best suited for stacking wedding cakes and carving. I have even found they make excellent and moist cupcakes. A butter or an oil-based cake is going to give a lighter cake if that is what you want. I use the tasty and moist vanilla pound cake under most saved websites and it is amazing. I have made it with margarine and got a more dense cake but when I made it with butter I got the lightest and most delicate cake ever. I use bake-even strips because my oven temperature is not even. I have cold spots. Since I have been using the strips, all my cakes are flat on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%