Air Bubbles Caused By Sharpening Edges Of Cake

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 22 Jul 2012 , 8:31pm by Pearl645

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 4

I used the technique by Inspired by michelle and some other's online who use 2 cake smoothers or acetate to create sharp edges on round fondant cakes this week. I noticed I got the sharp edges but in doing so I got massive amounts of air bubbles and bulging of fondant. I was constantly pricking the fondant to let out the air. Has this happened to you? I used the acetate material in 2 squares to sharpen the edges. For the life of me, these air bubbles refused to come out. Took way too much smoothing to send them out. Spent 30 mins on one cake trying to get out all the air bubbles on the side. I used the crusting VIVA BC recipe here on CC to put under the fondant. I wanted to experiment with it to see which I prefer - crusting BC or chocolate ganache under fondant. Of course I like ganache but I found it created a chocolate mess when stacking cakes and shifting cakes to make sure they are dead center.

3 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 12:51am
post #2 of 4

We're all having fondant bubbling problems this weekend - it;s because of the humidity in the air. I find that the stiffer my fondant is the fewer bubbles I get

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 1:31am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

We're all having fondant bubbling problems this weekend - it;s because of the humidity in the air. I find that the stiffer my fondant is the fewer bubbles I get

I totally agree...humidity and fondant just don't mix! Try your testing in the winter months if possible or at least when the humidity is less than 30-40%! I simply cringe when I get a request for fondant covered cakes in the summer months...I don't like being at the mercy of Mother Natureicon_smile.gif

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 4

Goodness! July & August are the most humid months here and only fondant cakes in demand right now. My kitchen isn't air conditioned so the heat penetrates. I have a fan on high speed in there now to try to cool down the kitchen. Thanks for letting me know this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%