Just Looking For Some Friendly Commiseration.

Lounge By ellavanilla Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 8:41pm by Rosie2

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 20

My sister was married on the fifth. She requested a 5 tier cake14/12/10/8/6), with coconut IMBC and covered in coconut flake. She presented me with a photo of a Martha Stewart cake and directions on how she wanted the frosting made. icon_mad.gif

I don't bake commercially anymore, so for the better part of a week I baked those layers in my home kitchen, 1-layer-at-a-time (I'm a terrible tort-er so I bake tiny layers). I cleaned out my entire fridge, banned the family from the kitchen, bought special ingredients....anyway, you all know what I did.

The cake was beautiful and delicious. It was received with raves.

She just called to ask me what happened. "Why didn't the frosting have coconut in it? I couldn't taste or see it." She then suggested I come over and taste the leftovers to prove her point.

Damn it, I put so much coconut between those layers I was afraid they wouldn't stick together! 5 LBS of coconut. 12 LBs of butter. 5 dozen eggs. hours and hours of my time!

I feel used and abused. I figure that my baking sisters would know where I'm coming from.

I'm just so disappointed.

19 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 20

Hey, she was so high on excitement on her wedding day that she missed the coconut. Please don't take any offense. If she says anything more, tell her to email Martha Stewart and ask her where the coconut went...

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Hey, she was so high on excitement on her wedding day that she missed the coconut. Please don't take any offense. If she says anything more, tell her to email Martha Stewart and ask her where the coconut went...

Very well said.

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 20

If this is the cake in your pictures, I can see the coconut!! Loads of coconut! It looks lovely and she should be so happy she had a baker sister like YOU to make her such a confection! I say, "Good job!" If she missed the coconut, did she get any cake?

BakingIrene Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 20

Yes well I have two younger sisters. One has the same commonsense approach to life as myself, and the other one was daddy's girl and she is still the worst spoiled brat at 50+.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 20

I would offer her a full refund.

ellavanilla Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose8302

If this is the cake in your pictures, I can see the coconut!! Loads of coconut! It looks lovely and she should be so happy she had a baker sister like YOU to make her such a confection! I say, "Good job!" If she missed the coconut, did she get any cake?

did she get any? she has an entire 4x14 tier at her house. btw, i also told her it was too much cake, but she didn't believe me.

thanks for the acknowledgment. She is one difficult customer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 20

If you have followed any of the posts on this site you must have noticed that *family* members often are the most disagreeable 'customers' icon_sad.gif
As others said, if the cake in your pix is hers she must be blind not to see 'any coconut'!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla

She just called to ask me what happened. "Why didn't the frosting have coconut in it? I couldn't taste or see it." She then suggested I come over and taste the leftovers to prove her point.

"So what you're saying sis, is that the stress of the wedding rendered you blind?" icon_rolleyes.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 20

Ha, ha! I love Jason's response!
How about: the coconut filling overwhelmed the subtle coconut flavor in the frosting. Fortunately, most people eat filling frosting, and cake all in one bite so everyone tasted coconut.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 12:24am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

I would offer her a full refund.

::snicker::

BakingIrene Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 12:53am
post #12 of 20

Remind her that the coconut was not mixed into the covering icing according to Goddess Mahtha.

If she continues to fuss, say "OK give me back the cake and I will add coconut to all the icing on the tiers".

If all else fails you can think about the "spit up or shut up" option.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 1:40am
post #13 of 20

My question is, why didn't you let your sister see her cake at the reception? You meanie! icon_wink.gif

BakingIrene Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 1:52am
post #14 of 20

Well if there's no coconut in the leftover tier, then maybe somebody sent the wrong cake home with your sister.

Maybe your excellent cake was hijacked...cakejacked???

ellavanilla Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 7:39am
post #15 of 20
Quote:

Well if there's no coconut in the leftover tier, then maybe somebody sent the wrong cake home with your sister.

Maybe your excellent cake was hijacked...cakejacked???

i think it's more likely that my sister was abducted by aliens and replaced with a much nicer version of herself.

i wonder if she's at her house now picking thru the layers trying to find the coconut.

MrsBowtiy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsBowtiy Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:48am
post #16 of 20

Sorry I don't see any coconut...oh wait is that the loads and loads of white flakey stuff all over the cake?

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 12:57pm
post #17 of 20

Honestly, if my sister made me a 5-tier cake, I don't believe I'd criticize anything about it - even if it tasted like cardboard. I agree - family is the worst to deal with.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

tell her to email Martha Stewart and ask her where the coconut went...

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 4:14pm
post #19 of 20

icon_rolleyes.gif the only thing i would be telling her is...

Out of the billions of people on this planet - you would be the most ungrateful of all ...........................*click*.............. as i hang up the phone.

Remember - people only treat us how we allow them to treat us.
I am guessing she has been allowed to behave like this from her family.

She is just rude - nothing more nothing less.

Bluehue

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 8:41pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

icon_rolleyes.gif the only thing i would be telling her is...

Out of the billions of people on this planet - you would be the most ungrateful of all ...........................*click*.............. as i hang up the phone.

Remember - people only treat us how we allow them to treat us.
I am guessing she has been allowed to behave like this from her family.

She is just rude - nothing more nothing less.

Bluehue

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Ditto to all !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%