Cake Competition Question

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 2:18am by Elcee

bluedaisies Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 3

How much importance usually lies with how well the cake coordinates with the competition's theme? Especially if it's a vague theme... wouldn't be so bad if it was something specific.

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 3

Usually the 'rules' for the compition are stated, including how much value is given to what. It really depends on what the show people are looking for.
I would say it won't count that much. Not everyone makes a design that is specific for the theme of the show. Usually more is thought of the perfection of work, color coordination, neatness, etc.

Elcee Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 2:18am
post #3 of 3

It depends on the competition and what the rules say. For instance, in my state fair, representation of theme is one of the most important criteria. I entered my county fair a couple of years ago and there was no requirement for a theme, BUT they loved that I incorporated the fair's theme into my cake. In another show I enter each year, the extravagant cake category requires the representation of a theme and it's very important in the judging. The divisional categories in the same show aren't even judged on theme.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%