Making Buttercream

Baking By zoepenguin Updated 19 Jun 2012 , 1:39am by zoepenguin

zoepenguin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoepenguin Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 12:37am
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I have been making buttercream icing for about a year now using a hand mixer. For my birthday/graduation my parents bought me a kitchenaid stand mixer (love it! icon_smile.gif). So my question is, what speed is best to mix buttercream icing on it? I know if you over mix buttercream it gets air bubbles so I just wanted to know whats best using the stand mixer.

Thanks!

4 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:06am
post #2 of 5

I decided to go to Suger Ed productions and purchase Sharon Zambito's Perfecting the Fine Art of Buttercream. I wish I would have known about it long ago. It was worth the purchase.

I think it depends on what method you are using as to what speed you use.
Cream the fat,
add the sugar on first speed so it doesn't look like it snowed in your kitchen. icon_wink.gif
Once you get the sugar and liquid incorporated, you can start bumping up the speed to a 3 or 4. Using my old method, I used to let it run 10- 15 minutes.

After watching the DVD I mentioned above, I have it done in 5-6 minutes, but I adjust the speed and the amount of buttercream I am making.

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:52am
post #3 of 5

I usually use level 3 on my Kitchenaid mixer.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 6:29am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepenguin

So my question is, what speed is best to mix buttercream icing on it? I know if you over mix buttercream it gets air bubbles so I just wanted to know whats best using the stand mixer.

It's not so much the speed or overmixing that causes air bubbles, it's not having the bowl full enough to completely cover the beater... that incorporates air.

zoepenguin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoepenguin Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 1:39am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for the advice! I tried it out making buttercream this weekend and it came out perfect! I have to say I love having a stand mixer, so much quicker then a hand one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%