High Ratio Shortening For Frosting

Decorating By ibeeflower Updated 14 May 2012 , 2:16am by ibeeflower

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 12 May 2012 , 7:20am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I made my first somewhat delicious frosting today (aside from cream cheese). I used Sugarshack's recipe which was modified by another user...it's late here so I can't remember her name (sorry!)

I used 2 lbs and 1.25 oz of high ratio shortening
About 2.5 maybe 3 pounds of confectioner's sugar
About 4 or 5 tablespoons of Nielsen Massey Vanilla Extract (I love vanilla)
And 9 teaspoons of coffee creamer and 8 tablespoons of hot water
A few pinches of salt

It tastes really good and is smooth and creamy but i still have that greasy feeling. Sometimes it hits me more than other times when I sample it. Sometimes it is slightly greasy and sometimes it is a strong film on the roof of my mouth.

So here is my late night question...would adding more powdered sugar cut down on the greasiness? I don't mind adding more salt or vanilla to cut down on the sweetness. I just can't stand the greasiness.

Thanks
Flower

4 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 May 2012 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 5

The grease factor is probably more to do with the brand of hi-ratio shortening you used. What brand did you use? I have tried two and one is awful (don't know the name) and one is good and it's made by Wesson. SugarShack uses Sweetex I believe and there is no local supplier here so I haven't tried it. But the brand does make a difference. Also are you mixing the shortening and liquid together until it basically looks like sour cream? That helps break down the shortening.

ibeeflower Posted 12 May 2012 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

The grease factor is probably more to do with the brand of hi-ratio shortening you used. What brand did you use? I have tried two and one is awful (don't know the name) and one is good and it's made by Wesson. SugarShack uses Sweetex I believe and there is no local supplier here so I haven't tried it. But the brand does make a difference. Also are you mixing the shortening and liquid together until it basically looks like sour cream? That helps break down the shortening.

I used one by CK. I would have loved to use Sweetex or Alpine but the cake supply store only had CK and I really needed to make this frosting. I mixed the shortening until the tiny bumps were smooth then added the liquid. The frosting looks good and tastes good too but the greasiness is what really makes me sad.

Is there anything I can do at this point? I have 2 4 layer naked cakes waiting to be iced and decorated.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 12 May 2012 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Where do you get the Wesson made product?

ibeeflower Posted 14 May 2012 , 2:16am
post #5 of 5

I decided to add more sugar and coffee creamer mixture.I also added more salt to cut down the sweetness. It really got rid of the greasy texture I felt before and it tasted delicious

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%