Joanns (Craft Store) New Coupon Policy

Decorating By Mikomomof4 Updated 20 Nov 2013 , 11:17pm by kikiandkyle

Mikomomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikomomof4 Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 28

i live in kc area. yesterday at joanns i was informed that they now only allow 2 coupons. they used to allow a coupon with every item. I know alot of cakers loved them over michaels because of the many allowed coupons. anyone else been told of this new policy?

27 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 28

I haven't heard of this policy, but it's been a few weeks since I've been in my local Joann's. I'll be interested to hear if this is a widespread thing.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 May 2012 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 28

Stores are getting frusterated with coupons. Target is cracking down on coupons too. I usually take my mother or daughter if I want to use several coupons at Michaels.

Mikomomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikomomof4 Posted 5 May 2012 , 5:03am
post #4 of 28

yes i will have to take my husband or have him stop daily to joanns after work seeing how he works very close to it. i had my total figured with my six coupons and then they totally busted my bubble with the new coupon policy. funny how joanns alway have other things on sale but rarely wilton.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 May 2012 , 5:27am
post #5 of 28

I can't stand policies like that! Especially when you can stand there and ring up 2 transactions in a row so that you can use more than the minimum. Or get back in line... either way, those coupons will get used!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 5 May 2012 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 28

I have a story about coupons at Michaels. I had two, a 40% off one, and one of those they run sometimes with 20% off of your total..what were they thinking having two going at the same time??? Well, I ended up buying only one thing, and I tried to use both coupons. Of course that was a no-no icon_rolleyes.gif

I used the 40% off one..there was a couple standing behind me in line. It was obvious they were buying things for a wedding and they had their cart piled high. After the clerk told me in no uncertain terms that I could not use the 20% off my remaining total, I turned to the couple behind me and asked very sweetly if they had a coupon. "No" was the answer, so I explained to them the coupon was worth 20% off of everything they had in their basket, smiled at the clerk and walked out of the store thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 May 2012 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 28

My JoAnns has never allowed more than one coupon for an order, but it's a pretty new store.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 May 2012 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 28

My JoAnns has never allowed more than one coupon for an order, but it's a pretty new store.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 5 May 2012 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 28

That's always been the policy out here

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 5 May 2012 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 28

I also send my children, 10 & 12, and if available, my husband, through the line with a coupon and do 4 different transactions for higher priced items. They all hate it, children, hubby, and store clerk, but if it saves me $20 it's worth it. It would be nice if the stores would just come down on prices and do away with coupons.

kayluhboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayluhboo Posted 5 May 2012 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 28

My mama is a store manager at a JoAnns and I've only known them to allow 1 coupon per transaction. And they tend to have their Wilton products on sale pretty often.

But I think most places are eventually going to cut down on the coupons. :/

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 May 2012 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 28

I've never used coupons at JoAnn's, but at Michael's it's one coupon per customer per day. They told me that at the Hobby Lobby the other day too. Good thing I had my friend with me and she was able to use the coupon for another item I needed. I also noticed that the Michael's coupons are not running for as long as they used to (only two or three days as opposed to a week). They are also not offering a 40% one every week like they were.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 May 2012 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 28

Wow! I must live in Lucky Land.

At my Joann's, I can use as many coupons as I want, as long as they're all from different sources--they can be for the same % discount, so if I have one on my phone, one that was mailed to me, one that came in the Sun. paper, & one from Michaels, I get to use all 5 in one transaction. icon_lol.gif

Now, the Michaels that's half a mile away is another story. One coupon. Period. Needless to say, if Joann's has it, they get my business first.

Rae

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 5 May 2012 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 28

Here too. One coupon per customer per day. That's always been the policy.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 6 May 2012 , 12:26am
post #15 of 28

The Joann near me allows multiple coupons. I usually go to both Joann and Michaels. Since Michaels only allows one coupon, I just go to several Michaels if I need lots of something. Luckily, I live in Los Angeles, so I can just do a giant circle through the San Fernando Valley and stop at 4 or 5 different Michaels if I need to. It's a bit of a pain, but it's worth it for the amount of money I save, especially on fondant.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 May 2012 , 3:28am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

I also send my children, 10 & 12, and if available, my husband, through the line with a coupon and do 4 different transactions for higher priced items. They all hate it, children, hubby, and store clerk, but if it saves me $20 it's worth it. It would be nice if the stores would just come down on prices and do away with coupons.

MadMillie, I've done exactly the same thing with the same "everybody hates it" result. I actually had a fight with my family over this issue, so I've stopped. It got to the point that I would be willing to pay the extra $20 so I wouldn't have to hear all the whining. (Ungrateful sons-a-guns. It made me mad because I go out of my way all the time for them, and when I'd ask for 15 minutes, they acted like it was the end of the world. It still makes me mad.....)

To everyone who has a store that accepts more than 1 coupon/per person/per store/per day, enjoy it while you can. It will stop. The profit margin is shrinking all over retail.

IMHO, craft stores are NEVER going to go coupon-less, it is too embedded in the "craft" shopper culture.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 May 2012 , 3:56am
post #17 of 28

I should say that my Michael's has let me use up to three in one transaction. That has been with several cashiers. But the cashier at Hobby Lobby was laying the smack-down. That's ok, because I go into those stores almost daily anyway, LOL.

hesacat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hesacat Posted 6 May 2012 , 4:35am
post #18 of 28

When I lived in Florida Joann's would let you use as many coupons as you wanted. And they took competitor coupons which was nice since AC Moore usually had 50% every other week. I would just print off 10-15 and go in and use one for every item I bought. No different transaction needed. Michael's on the other hand, I went with a friend since I needed to get 2 items and they didnt have the item at Joann's, So we get to the cashier and I put both items on the counter and say "I want them rang separate I have coupons" cashier replies "One coupon per person only" so I point to my friend and say "Im buying one and they are buying the other" and she looks at me and says "Well he has to use his own money you cant give it to him"...Me and my friends called her the coupon nazi...

mcmom1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmom1962 Posted 6 May 2012 , 2:49pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Wow! I must live in Lucky Land.

At my Joann's, I can use as many coupons as I want, as long as they're all from different sources--they can be for the same % discount, so if I have one on my phone, one that was mailed to me, one that came in the Sun. paper, & one from Michaels, I get to use all 5 in one transaction. icon_lol.gif

Now, the Michaels that's half a mile away is another story. One coupon. Period. Needless to say, if Joann's has it, they get my business first.

Rae

This is how my Joanns is also. As long as the coupons are different codes I can use as many as I want. They let me use, Jo anns, Michaels and hobby lobby's. So at any given time I can have coupons from three stores on my phone, printed from the Internet, the Sunday paper adds and coupons e mailed to me. They also let us do more than on transaction in a day. I just started classes there in Feb, so I would get things both before and after class.
I have not bought anything that wasn't on sale or had a coupon for. Even so I know they have gotten lots of my money icon_cry.gif
Michaels is closer to me but they are strictly one coupon a day and no books. Hobby lobby is also one coupon a day. Michaels is a lot closer to me with Jo anns the furthest away. Unless I am in a hurry and need just one item, I always go to Jo anns.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2012 , 9:09pm
post #20 of 28

More than once I've seen the coupon-sharing in Michaels (i.e. giving an unused coupon to the person next in line). I was handed a 50% off coupon once!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 May 2012 , 9:45pm
post #21 of 28

Sorry guys, this bothers me. I know that every dollar counts (trust me, i use my coupons too) but since a LOT of us on this site sell our cakes, I would think we'd be a little more sympathetic to the profit margin of a fellow business.

Some of us run coupons as well, whether it be Groupon, ValPak, Facebook deals, buy 9 get one free, whatever. If someone came on to CC venting about a customer who was trying to abuse (yes, that's the word) the coupon policy that you set I think the responses would be a lot different.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:27am
post #22 of 28

Well, I think it's incumbent on the business to only float as many coupons as it can manage.

A well managed business knows full well what the rate of return for every type of coupon that they print---and that many millions are thrown away or allowed to expire.

A coupon is only as good as the terms and conditions that are printed on it.

If the store policy is as simple as "one coupon per customer, per day", then the store has to honor that policy, even if the customer is a 5 year old holding a box of fondant, a coupon, and a $20 bill.

With the price of gas, I don't have the luxury of trotting off to distant stores every day to use the "free money" they've printed for me. If my Joann's has chosen to be more liberal with their policy, then so be it.

I don't "abuse" anyone, or anything, and my DH is as legitimate a "customer" as any other body in the store.

If you offered a coupon and it said "one offer per family", then that's what I'd do. If it said "one offer per person/customer" and I needed 2, then I'd use one coupon and my DH would use a second coupon. Unless there's additional fine print, that behavior is compliant with the coupon verbiage.

A coupon is a contract, so it has to be carefully crafted--and, in the legal world, the creator of the contract always carries the greatest burden.

Rae

mcmom1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmom1962 Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:18am
post #23 of 28

The cashiers are the ones who told me I can use more than one coupon. I have a small file folder with all my coupons. As I was taking out the one I was going to use they seen that I had 3 more. Then they told me their policy. I do honor all their rules and if it was against their policy the register would not let the coupon scan. The only problem I have ever had was when I was taking two Wilton classes at the same time. I had 2 coupons from Joann's for 40% off items items on the class supply list. I could only use one of those per transaction.

Sheila

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 7 May 2012 , 7:58am
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

It's 3 in the morning and this had me hollering LOLOL! I can just see their faces as you marshall them through the check out line LOL!!!!!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 7 May 2012 , 8:02am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If the store policy is as simple as "one coupon per customer, per day", then the store has to honor that policy, even if the customer is a 5 year old holding a box of fondant, a coupon, and a $20 bill.

Rae

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif THAT"S IT! I'm off to bed! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

needlessyoghurt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
needlessyoghurt Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 5:20pm
post #26 of 28

aahhhh how can I be so dumb...two weeks before I had an argument with one of Jo-Ann staff on the same stuff :D

CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 6:21pm
post #27 of 28

I guess it really depends on the location. I was at joAnn's last week and used two coupons. And the local Michaels will let you use and item coupon along with a purchase discount or a survey discount. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 11:17pm
post #28 of 28

AI've never had a problem using more than one at Joann, my old Michaels would only take one of each kind per day. I only use a coupon when it's something over $5, so I've certainly paid for more than a few items at their over inflated prices. And yes, I do feel their prices are over inflated because there are few stores that charge as much as Michaels/Joann do for a lot of things. Their prices are set with the coupons in mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%