Crinkle Cake Effect

Decorating By floresskylar Updated 7 May 2012 , 2:13pm by Marianna46

floresskylar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floresskylar Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 11

I have a wedding cake to do. I have attached a picture of it. It looks like crinkled tissue paper. She really loves it. I tried to discourage her from ordering it since I haven't done it before but shes even more confident in me than I am lol. So I'm taking it on. Never seen a cake like this. Can anyone guide me on how to do this? Thanks.
LL

10 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 11

Cornelli lace with a diference? Maybe some kind of random embosser?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 11

At first I thought it was strips of fondant ruffled on the bottom edge, but at second glance I don't think so. I'm stumped by this one!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 11

I think it's just piped on with bc or royal. Cool look. Should be easy and quick.

pxinos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pxinos Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 11

I had a friend ask me about this cake and I did a little test cake to see if I could duplicate the technique. I iced the cake with buttercream and smoothed it. Then I went back over it with a bag of buttercream and a tip 3 or 5 - can't remember - and piped random lines.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 11

I agree with Leah....looks like piped bc or royal.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 11

This is the kind I love to do - - smooth buttercream and then total randomness! This will be easier than easy. Don't let this one get away! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 11

I agree w/the others.....a take off on 'cornelli'. Use a small round - or better yet, an oval - tip to make random lines around the cakes.

floresskylar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floresskylar Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks so much guys! I'm going to do a test run of this in the next few weeks. The wedding is in June and hopefully I can get it to look just like this cake. It is really cool and unique. I haven't seen anything like it. Thanks for all your advice. Thanks again!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 4 May 2012 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 11

Found an almost identical cake listed at
http://www.swedishbakery.com/site/epage/27888_222.htm

It's listed under buttercream cakes

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 11

That one is even prettier than the first one, Lynne3, and it's easier to see how it might be done. The effect is very striding, isn't it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%