How Do I Do Sheet/kitchen Cake For Wedding

Decorating By tweethina Updated 2 May 2012 , 3:57am by cakegirl1973

tweethina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweethina Posted 1 May 2012 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake business and learning lots from all your posts. I have a wedding of 600 where the cake will be for 300 serving. I plan to do 3 tiers for 150 serving and kitchen cakes for the rest. My question is do you guyz cover teh kitchen cakess in fondant and the same decor as the cake too? or the buttercream only with some co-oprdinating decor elements since the per serving charge is a lot less?
TIA

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 May 2012 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 5

Why would the per serving charge be less on a kitchen cake? Cake pricing isn't overly influenced by the shape. And yes, cover it in fondant if the display cake is covered in fondant. The guests aren't supposed to be able to tell it's a different cake.

Now, why would the hosts only order cake for 1/2 the guests? **Red Flag**

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 May 2012 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 5

I'm with Leah on the red flag but I differ on the kitchen cake.

For me, anything that's a single cake (decorated or not) is less $ than a tiered cake. Kitchen cakes are iced in only buttercream, no fancy board, no borders. It is cake for cake's sake. (they are as high as the wedding cake, torted, still same quality of cake)

I charge a flat $3.50 per serving which is our lowest price per slice for even party cakes. Tiered cakes start at $7.75 per serving.

If they want decor you need to charge more for it, the whole point is plain, quick, and cheap.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 May 2012 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 5

I'm w/KoryAK.......when I did kitchen cakes they were single layer sheets iced in b/cream w/simple shell borders.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:57am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I'm w/KoryAK.......when I did kitchen cakes they were single layer sheets iced in b/cream w/simple shell borders.

Usually, kitchen cakes have two layers and sheet cakes only have one. My kitchen cakes were often, but not always, less than the price per slice of wedding cake. If the wedding cake had a lot of piping/details, the kitchen cakes would be less, because it did not have the same piping/details. For a buttercream cake, it was simply iced with a border to match the wedding cake's border (shells, dots, reversed shell). But, if the wedding cake had minimal decorating (for example, if it was just iced, stacked with ribbon border), then the price per slice for the wedding cake and the kitchen cake were the same. In other words, I did not increase the price per slice for a wedding cake just because it's a wedding cake--cake is cake.

If the wedding cake is covered in fondant, than the kitchen cakes should be covered in fondant, too. Just like Leah_S said, the idea of the kitchen cake is that the guests should never know that they are not eating a slice of the wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%