Cathrine123 Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 10:49am
post #1 of

Hey all,


I am currently making some blossoms for a wedding cake that I am doing for Thursday, however I seem to be having some kind of issue with the fondant, I am kneeding it and I see what looks like tiny black hairs and they drive me absolutly nuts because I have no idea where they are coming from I am not wearing any black at all, I don't have black hair I just dont know what is happening....my boyfriend suggested that it was the counter top it is a black laminated plywood that looks like marble, but could it really be that? I always clean my work tops thoroughly does anyone have any ideas this could be before I really loose it icon_cry.gif

6 replies
AnotherCreation Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 12:03pm
post #2 of

it's probably not hair but lint. I have had this happen before. Try using a lint free towel to wipe your hands, bowls, ect. with. This should help

MsGF Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 12:49pm
post #3 of

My teacher and I have a theory because it happens to us too. No dark hair or dark clothes, rolling fondant on clean clear firm white plastic boards. Anyhow we believe it might be the dust in the air. Sounds odd but it might be. Think of when you dust how it looks grey and dirty. We might be right, we might not. But I think it is possible. I dust all the time because we have allergies, but it is cool here still and I have my furnace on, and I change the filters every 90 days. In the summer I have the A/C on. Anyhow that is our theory. Maybe someone has a better one. icon_smile.gif

Take Care.

BakerzJoy Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 12:55pm
post #4 of

Someone else posted about this awhile back. Tiny fibers and lint from your apron and clothes is where it comes from. You may be doing everything right but it's pretty inevitable if your not wearing lint free clothing. They suggested buying the chef coats and wearing those while baking and using a lint free towel for wiping hands and counters. Not sure if it will completely eliminate the problem but it will certainly help. Good luck!!

LisaPeps Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:38pm
post #5 of

It is lint like the other posters said. What I do to eliminate it is:

1) Wipe down all surfaces with an antibacterial wet wipe.
2) Dry surfaces with a paper towel.
3) Cut off a golf ball sized piece of fondant, knead it and cup it in my hand.
4) Wipe the surface with the fondant. Wipe my rolling pin and smoothers (basically anything that will touch the fondant) with the scrap piece of fondant.
5) Look at scrap piece of fondant... soooo many lint pieces in it!!! Chuck that...
6) Put on my disposable gloves.
7) Happily work with my fondant icon_smile.gif)

Works a treat!!!

DeniseNH Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 7:06pm
post #6 of

Oh man that brought back so many bad memories. Had the same trouble once only mine was little tiny red lint. Finally realized that washing new hand drying towels once doesn't remove all the fuzz from them. When I changed to paper towels the red fuzz went away. Now I wash and wash and rewash my kitchen towels before using them while decorating.

Cathrine123 Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 9:29pm
post #7 of

Thankyou all for such great helpful responces thumbs_up.gif

I will definetly look into getting myself a chefs jacket, can I get lint free cloths from anywhere like Tesco? or are they only in certain shops? I think that I will invest in some disposable gloves also icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%