How Do I Do This On Buttercream?! Help!

Decorating By pasquerto Updated 24 Apr 2012 , 3:31pm by afterdinnerthoughts

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 14

Hello,
My bride wants this cake without buttercream! I KNOW I don't have the piping skills to make this happen...would an edible image or something work?

How would YOU make this cake happen?

TIA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbythepound/4038361557/
Linked!

13 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 14

Do you have a link or something? That'll help us help you icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 14

What makes you think you would need to pipe it? You can do it exactly the same as the cake in the picture. To me, it looks like she used a stencil on the fondant. You can paint on buttercream the same as you can with fondant. You just need to make sure your buttercream is very well chilled before you start painting on it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 14

How would I make this cake happen? Exactly the way it was done in that pic. No way on God's green earth will it come out the same on buttercream.

AZCouture Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 14

It just takes a little education. Whether they don't want fondant because they think it tastes bad, whatever the reason. If you inform them that the cake is just the same underneath the fondant (same amount of bc), they will warm up to it.

pasquerto Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 14

So yall don't think there is a way to do like an edible image around the sides or something? She was staunch on the fondant as she doesn't like the "hard" texture of it...hmmm

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 14

I agree with AZ - - while we try to cater to the customer and truly customize each cake, there are some things they want that are simply not viable. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's rather unreasonable.

A lot of brides are either unfamiliar with fondant or have heard it tastes gross, so that's why they insist on bc. So cover the cake with modeling chocolate and paint away. It will taste like vanilla tootsie rolls. thumbs_up.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 14

Not all fondant gets hard. I think some of it stays pretty soft. You could also do modeling chocolate which would be very tasty.

There may be a way to design it and use it in the Cricut. I don't own one so I am no help there, sorry.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 14

If you can find the right stencils you *can* use them on b'cream. I've done similar work.
Use a crusting b'cream recipe; cover the b'cream w/a piece of tulle (netting usually used for bridal veils) then place the stencil over that and paint away OR better yet use a somewhat thinned b'cream and knife to applie it like one would paint on a canvas.

afterdinnerthoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afterdinnerthoughts Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 14

I would use a stencil. If you can not find the specified design, you can cut one yourself. Walmart has blank stencil sheets. There are plenty of instructions on CC that explains in detail how to stencil on BC. I hope this helps.

AZCouture Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 6:38pm
post #12 of 14

Right..it would be similar, but not even remotely close to the original. The beauty of that is the uneven watercolor look just like the tile artists get when they paint on tile. Stenciling would be raised from the buttercream, which painting on fondant would not. Stenciling would be prettyeven color coverage, which would not give the look I just described. So if the bride is that admant (which I am guessing she would not be once what she would be sacrificing was explained to her), then she would get what she gets. I personall would not agree to do it. That handpainting is awesome, and I would take the opportunity to sell the cake as is. Done on fondant.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 6:50pm
post #13 of 14

What AZCouture said!!

afterdinnerthoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afterdinnerthoughts Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 14

Maybe you should talk to the bride and explain the limitations that are associated with both buttercream and Fondant; and then let her choose. Either way, I am rooting for you. What you do is an art, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Good Luck! I am curious as to how this is going to end. Keep me posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%