How To Store Gumpaste Flowers For Preservation

Decorating By tomcatsgirl Updated 19 Apr 2012 , 1:37pm by tomcatsgirl

tomcatsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomcatsgirl Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 3

I am pretty new to gumpaste and fondant. I am currently working on flowers for a wedding cake. ( I am a home hobby baker decorater) The bride was wondering about feezing her top layer? Can the flowers be froze with the cake? Her wedding is Spring Showers theme in Seattle. The toppers will be bride and groom rain boots and an umbrella with flowers. I would think to have her remove the figures and store in a dry place? What do ya'll reccomend? Thanks~ icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 3

What a cute wedding cake idea for Seattle! There are two ways to go with this. My idea would be to remove the topper and store it in something non-airtight (think cardboard box) away from dust and light and freeze the cake. Or you could put the whole thing in a box, wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap and freeze it. Actually, if the cake is covered in fondant, this may be the best way to go, anyway. When they take the cake out of the freezer (I assume they want it for their first anniversary or something like that), they need to let it come to room temperature before unwrapping it, so that all the condensation forms on the outside of the wrapping and not on the cake or decorations themselves.

tomcatsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomcatsgirl Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Mariana~ To tell you the truth I was kinda sacred about theme. The boots turned out really cute and almost done with the umbrella. The bride is a good friend and she has asked me to take care of the top layer for her after the reception is over. The cake will covered in Italian BC. I was going to freeze it first then wrap it in saran and put it in a box for the freezer. I will find a box for the flowers as well. I would hate for them to go in garbage after all the work lol I am glad I get to put my work to rest icon_razz.gif

Happy Baking~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%