Mmf Tearing Along Edges Of Cake - How Can I Fix?

Decorating By agouti Updated 11 Apr 2012 , 5:55pm by DeniseNH

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 3:36am
post #1 of 10

This morning I made MMF, using the recipe below. When I rolled it out the first time, it was sticking to my rolling pin, but with a bit more powdered sugar, this problem was solved. I was able to roll it up around the pin, but when I unrolled it over the cake, it adhered to the top and then cut itself neatly along the edges (square cake), leaving the top covered in fondant and a neat doughnut of fondant sitting around the cake. Any advice on how to fix this problem would be greatly. I am hesitant to go out and buy a package of Wilton fondant if I don't have to, but will do so if that seems to be my only solution.

Recipe:
16 oz. mini marshmallows
2 lb. powdered sugar
3 T water
1/2 C shortening
plus a bit more shortening and powdered sugar when kneading and rolling out, respectively

Thank you so much for any advice you can give!

9 replies
agouti Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 10

This morning I tried re-kneading it with some more shortening, but it only got worse, like a overworked pie crust dough. It was sticking to both the counter and the rolling pin (dusted in powdered sugar). I'm off to Michael's as soon as it opens, but any insights for the future are heartily welcomed. I am still not sure where I went wrong. Thank you in advance.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 10

Agouti, sorry this happened to you! So frustrating, but you are not alone! This has happened I'm sure to all of us at one time or another with MMF. It really can be inconsistent. I personally don't add shortening to my MMF. I usually don't add the whole two pounds of PS at one time, but add about 3/4 of it in the bowl with the melted marshmallows, mix, then dump it on my counter to start kneading. I gradually add more PS, a little at a time until it is stretchy but not sticky. It sounds like yours was a little too dry. icon_confused.gif Now sometimes I will add glycerine if it doesn't seem to be behaving and that brings back some elasticity to the fondant. Also, make sure you didn't roll it out too thickly, the weight of the draped fondant over the corners can pull it down and cause the cracking. I'm no expert for sure, but I use MMF exclusively unless I need red or black. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 10

hello nicurseicon_smile.gif do you let your fondant sit after you make it for several hours, or can you use mmf right away? I have heard inconsistent answers and i figured since you use it exclusively you may now for sure?

Thanks so much!
Shannycakers

nicunurse Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 10

I know! I hear to let it rest etc. too. Personally, I love using it right away!! I like that its still warm and stretchy and I haven't had any problems using it like that. I use corn starch on the counter and apply it to my thinly crumb coated cake that has been "chilln" in the fridge. After its on and smoothed, I pop it back in the fridge so the fondant and cold cake aren't competing. This has worked for me without any problems. icon_biggrin.gif

agouti Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 10

Nicunurse, thanks for the advice! Do you include corn syrup in the recipe when you make it? I saw some recipes that did. Would you mind sharing your recipe with me? It sounds like you have something that is working well for you. Thank you again!

nicunurse Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 10

Agouti, Sure!! I first grease the bowl with a little shortening. 16 oz marshmallows and I use 2 tablespoons of clear vanilla instead of water. I melt those, add color if needed then I dump about 3/4 of a 2lb bag of powdered sugar in the bowl and start mixing with a large spoon. When most of the PS is mixed in, I dump it out onto a well greased counter and start kneading. I add a little bit more PS at a time until its nice and stretchy but not sticking. I grease the counter again from time to time as well as my hands, and keep kneading. Some days, I use the whole 2lbs, and some days less. I hear the weather has something to do with it, but I'm too busy to try and figure it out! icon_biggrin.gif When I don't have those little bits of PS in the fondant, I form a ball, grease it up with some shortening and place it in a zipper bag while I clean up the mess!! Like I said, I really don't let it rest for very long unless I have too. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

agouti Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you, Nicunurse! I will try this next time for sure!

nicunurse Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 10

Totally welcome!! icon_biggrin.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 10

I use MMF and have wonderful results. I was horrified at the large amount of Crisco you're adding. I use clear corn syrup in place of water and have only starting adding a level tablespoon of crisco to the mix. I too only add half a 2# bag of powdered sugar to get it started then dump the rest of the sugar out onto my super clean counter and knead it in. The kneading gets rid of any bubbles or sugar lumps. I like working with it warm, you can roll it out easily and thinly that way, then I cover it over and leave it on the counter to cool down for 5 minutes before putting in place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%