Writing

Decorating By JaesSweetHearts Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 5:19pm by SweetP

JaesSweetHearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaesSweetHearts Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:39am
post #1 of 5

hi everyone, I am new to this forum and also to cake decorating. I'm having trouble with writing on the cakes. Other than the obvious practice makes perfect, are there any tips anyone can give me on how to make this easier?

4 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 3:27am
post #2 of 5

Watching others write is helpful. I made a videoclick on the link in my signature below.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 3:42am
post #3 of 5

Purchase a set of tappets. They're alphabet cutters used with either fondant or gumpaste. Easy. Makes you look like a pro. Other than that, before I had alphabet cutters I would take a steel ruler and make a faint line across the icing surface (very faint) and then I used that line as my guide when writing the birthday message.

JaesSweetHearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaesSweetHearts Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 5

thank you so much!! I'll try that tonight!

SweetP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetP Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 5

I find that my writing is much better if I make sure my icing consistency is correct from the start. I do a quick practice on a plastic lid first. I think about placement and sometimes write the longest word first. If I feel unsure about it, I will write on the cake first with the same color as what the cake is iced in. That way, it will be easy to take it off and it not be so noticeable. Then I will go over it with the color I want for the letters. Also, write with your whole arm, not your wrist. I also use a laser level to give me a level line because I tend to write uphill or downhill. Seems like my writing looks better when I just own it and don't hesitate. Hope some of these tips help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%