Can Luster Dust Be Used With An Airbrush?

Decorating By jlm80249 Updated 14 Sep 2005 , 11:41pm by MrsMissey

jlm80249 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlm80249 Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 3:31am
post #1 of 5

Hi All. I finally bought an airbrush and can't wait to begin "playing with it". I was curious if you could mix luster dust with alcohol and put that in the airbrush gun....or will it be too thick and clogg it up? I don't want to ruin anything...I'm a bit nervous about using it in the first place.

Thanks so much for the advice!
Jenny

4 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 4:57am
post #2 of 5

Well I don't have an airbrush, but I know folks do this. There is a product you can buy specifically for this purpose but as long as you use an alcohol or a lemon essence that is at least 70% proof, you can airbrush with these. Here are some instructions from sugarcraft.
1 x 2 gram container of color of your choice, e.g. Super Pearl.

Fill to the top of container with white spirit, e.g. vodka.

Mix well

Transfer to cup of Airbrush and start spraying immediately. It is always advisable to test spray first to ensure that coverage is sufficient. If too heavy, add more white spirit. If too light, add more Dust. Be sure to stir mixture each time before adding to Airbrush cup and before starting to spray. This is essential as the Dust is held in suspension and, if not stirred frequently, will settle. An eyedropper is a useful tool in transferring mix to Airbrush cup.

jlm80249 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlm80249 Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 5

Dear SquirrellyCakes
Thank you so much for all this information. It is very helpful...as is this entire site! I can't believe the wealth of knowledge and the group of talented people that I have found!
Thanks!
Jenny

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 5

I've used luster dusts and my airbrush. I just mix it with everclear and use it.

I've heard that you shouldn't use them and I have heard that you can. If you do use them, then do make sure you do clean your airbrush out every time really good.

Just don't use any dusts that have large pieces in them like the disco dusts.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 5

I've tried this too but could never get a consistent flow...it always turned out blotchy! I guess I need to try, try again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%