What Happens If I Melted Chocolate & Folded It In The Ca

Baking By Keflyn1 Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 6:08am by lkozik

Keflyn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keflyn1 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 10

would it work? Or would it ruin the cake? I'm tired of my chocolate cakes not tasting chocolate-y enough. I want to make a dark chocolate cake with some hot pepper in it, and this seems like it would work. Would it be bad? (not the cake itself, just the melted chocolate in the batter)

9 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 10

It will kill your cake unless you are using a recipe that specifically calls for melted chocolate, like a mud cake. Even then you can't just double the amount of melted chocolate. You have to follow the recipe.

If you don't think your current recipe is chocolate-y enough, it's the cocoa powder you are using. Not all are created equal. Try a new brand, something high quality, dutch processed, with a high fat content (20% and up).

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 10

Several recipes involve adding cooled melted choc to cake batter. The trick is determining the correct amount so it doesn't effect the structure of the cake.

Also instead of water as your liquid, try using string coffee. It really brings out the chocolate flavor. I promise you can't taste the coffee once it's baked.

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:44am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Several recipes involve adding cooled melted choc to cake batter. The trick is determining the correct amount so it doesn't effect the structure of the cake.

Also instead of water as your liquid, try using string coffee. It really brings out the chocolate flavor. I promise you can't taste the coffee once it's baked.

Good tip thumbs_up.gif

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 10

Apparently also using hot water and dissolving your coca powder in it before adding to your batter brings out the chocolate flavour more. Would only work with recipes that contain water though

Cassie18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie18 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 10

I only ever use melted chocolate in my chocolate cakes - it gives it a gorgeous flavour. I have a great recipe if you need one. Also as well as adding melted chocolate I sometimes finely chop some dark chocolate and add that in to the batter as well which also boosts the chocolate hit!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

If you don't think your current recipe is chocolate-y enough, it's the cocoa powder you are using. Not all are created equal. Try a new brand, something high quality, dutch processed, with a high fat content (20% and up).

I agree with the above...

Having recently tested the Hershey Chocolate Cake recipe using 6 different cocoas, this one was the clear winner, for me:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bensdorp-dutch-process-cocoa-16-oz

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 10

oooohhhh thanks for the link flourpots!! I will have to get some of that!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 10

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

lkozik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkozik Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:08am
post #10 of 10

This is the best chocolate cake recipe I've ever made, moist and very chocolate!
2 Boxes Chocolate Cake Mix
2 C Sugar
2 C Flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 2/3 C Water
1 C Oil
1 Tbs Vanilla
2 C Sour Cream
3/4 C Cocoa
6 eggs

Everyone who has tried this cake loves it! I filled it with chocolate mousse, yummy! You may have already tried a recipe like this because it's so popular, and if so, sorry! Can also use 2/3 cup coffee in place of the water for even more chocolate flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%