Questions About Cakeboss Software

Business By Krista512 Updated 4 Mar 2012 , 9:47pm by Launa

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 18

im looking into getting the cakeboss software. but since im not a decorator that sells a bunch of cakes just yet it is a very expensive program to buy. i have some questions about it.
1. can i use my laptop to take to the cake shop to enter prices for boxes boards etc even if they dont have internet wifi there?
2. once i input the stuff on my laptop can i transfer the data to my home computer so i have all the info on both computers? or would i have to re type everything?
3. if my computer was to crash would i loose all of my data?
4. last but not least what are the best features in your opinion. what things do you like best and what things do you not like about the software?

17 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 18

Bring pen and paper to the cake shop to record prices, you can enter them on the computer later.

If your computer crashes you would lose your data unless you back it up, I recommend buying a USB memory stick and/or using an online backup solution like Carbonite.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 18

Yes, you can bring your laptop to the store and enter your prices directly into CakeBoss. I have users who do this with their laptop in the "baby" seat of the cart.

Please feel free to email us directly with any questions. [email protected]

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 18

I went to my grocery stores website and got the prices for everything from there - didn't have to leave my couch!

My issue with cakeboss is that I still haven't been able to easily figure out how many servings each recipe does (I haven't actually had time to really do this) It's helpful to know how much each recipe costs though.

RiZVF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RiZVF Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 6:13am
post #5 of 18

Hi! I use CakeBoss between my laptop and my desktop computers.
1) Yes, you can enter info on your laptop, even if you're not connected to the Internet. Be sure to save, of course. icon_smile.gif
2) I transfer the data from laptop to my desktop via a USB storage stick. I haven't had any problems moving info between the computers. BTW, my laptop is a MacBook Pro and my desktop is a Dell!
3) If your laptop crashes, I would think you would probably lose your data. But, if you save everything on the USB stick, you have that for a back-up.
4) My favorite features:
a) Oh it does all that math!!!! It can even figure the price per teaspoon of liquids. I just enter a recipe and the cost is figured out for me!
b) It creates invoices.
c) When you enter an order, you get a set of tabs. I can write notes on the "internal" tab that only I can see; they don't show up on the invoice. I can add delivery charges to the "financial" tab, or if you want to offer a discount it will figure the percentage for you.
d) Great reports, such as expenses.
Hope this helps!!! I LOVE my CakeBoss software!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Ria

eang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eang Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 5:34am
post #6 of 18

Hi, I too am interested in purchasing this pricing software. I read somewhere that cakecentral members can get 10% discount when the software is purchased. Is this true?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 18

Love love love my cakeboss software. I hate carrying my laptop around so I just saved my receipts and entered in ingredient expenses etc.

Hmmm my favorite feature? I am now firm on my pricing. Knowing what I have in the cake including boxes, boards and supports makes stocking firm easier.
I know a $150 sounds like a lot when you're starting out but this is a startup expense and a necessary one to me if you want to get your pricing model correct. Thr cottage food law in TX passed last September. My cake business is very small but from Sept to Dec, I was in the red $300 and that was including the cake boss software and a bulk order of boxes that will probably last me 3 yrs. It takes a while to build up the necessary tools in this business and those are expenses that get paid for over time.

As far as calculating servings by recipe. I take notes on how many cupcakes, cakes etc a single batch makes. You can also figure out how many cups of batter a recipe makes and use the Wilton baking chart to determine how many batches you'll need for an order.

I couldn't be happier with the software.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 18

I have the Cake Boss Software. I love it too. I would highly recommend it. I don't really think it is hugely expensive. I'm in Canada and purchased it when the Canadian Dollar was above par to the US dollar and I got a 10% Discount for being a Cake Central Member. I couldn't have been happier with the way it worked out, price wise. I ended up paying less than the posted price.

It is a huge time and effort saver once you get the information into the program.

I love that it figures everything out for me. LOVE IT!

Good Luck

buxomlisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buxomlisa Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 18

Can someone tell me more about this cakeboss software? I've never heard of it before. Sounds interesting though. I've just started a cake business from my home a few months ago. It's going very slow but there are like tons of other bakers in my area.

Lisa

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 18

Hi BuxomLisa,
The cake boss software is a small bakery software that does order tracking, invoicing, cost analysis and shopping lists by order or by date range. It tracks you expenses, income and sales tax etc. It is amazing software for the price in my opinion. Go to http://cakeboss.com/ and under the Support tab, what the How To videos. The marketing videos are good but to really see what you can do with it, watch the how to's. There is a discount for CC members as well.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiZVF

Hi! I use between my laptop and my desktop computers.
2) I transfer the data from laptop to my desktop via a USB storage stick. I haven't had any problems moving info between the computers. BTW, my laptop is a MacBook Pro and my desktop is a Dell!
Ria

I thought Cake Boss didn't work w/Macs. How are you able to do this?

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 1:55am
post #12 of 18

Hi, I just e-mailed them the other day and received a response that they are in the process of coming out with a Mac version soon. I'm not as computer literate as others who somehow manage to combine it with a PC. I'm eagerly awaiting it.

Jan

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 3:02am
post #13 of 18

I LOVE my cakeboss software!! My favorite things about it are the reports that it generates. I can print out an expense report for the month, and calculate my profit. I also love the professional invoice that it produces. Even though I'm a small home business, I love having professional looking receipts to hand to my customers! It was worth every dollar and I highly recommend it!

chuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chuts Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 18

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I need to buy the CD in order to insteall it onto my laptop? I have downloaded the software online onto my desktop.

Let me know

Thanks

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuts

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I need to buy the CD in order to insteall it onto my laptop? I have downloaded the software online onto my desktop.

Let me know

Thanks

As long as your laptop has an internet or wireless connection, you can download it. Please feel free to email support questions to [email protected]

Thanks,
Kelley icon_smile.gif

RiZVF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RiZVF Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 2:22pm
post #16 of 18

Sorry it took me so long to reply! I had to go to TX to take care of a family issue.
Yes, I do use cakeboss on my MacBook pro!!! My husband divided the hard drive between Mac and Windows. The MacBook comes with a program called "Boot Camp" that lets Mac users divide the hard drive so they can use Windows/PC software programs. The biggest pain is having to restart the computer to move between the hard drives. I'm glad I can use cakeboss on my Mac, but I'm looking forward to the iCloud version!!! icon_smile.gif If you need more info, please send me a PM. Hope this helped!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 18

I'm thinking of purchasing this software today and was wondering about how it figures out cost. I was wondering if it could help you figure out the cost of cupcakes? I mean if I enter the recipe am I able to put down how many cupcakes I can get out of the recipe? How about if I want to do different sized cupcakes? Also I was wondering how does it figure out cookie recipe cost.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 18

It figures your cost by you inputting your recipe into the program. Then, you also input your ingredients you purchase and how much they cost. For example, a dozen eggs is $1.47. Then, when you tell the program that you need 1 batch of white cake for your cupcakes, it calculates the cost for the 2 eggs that you'd use for that batch. It does that for all the ingredients, and spits out a total cost for a recipe. It's the same for cookies, you input your cookie recipe and the cost of your ingredients, then it breaks it down for you and tells you how much each batch of dough costs. It's a very good program and easy to use!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%