I Am So Nervous To Do This But I Really Want To Try It

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 4:40am by Annabakescakes

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,
I am working on a cake for a competition and there is a new idea I want to try out but I am really nervous to try it. I will attach a picture of what I am talking about. I want to try the royal icing drapings that hang from the bottom of a tier but I am so nervous that theyre going to break too much either while I am doing them or while we are traveling. We have to travel with this cake about 200 miles and I am so nervous that something is going to happen. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
LL

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 5

I have heard of adding gum arabic to stringwork and extensions to strengthen them. You can buy it at the cake decorating store. Here's a recipe: http://www.creativecutters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=46 Sometimes links go funny on here, hope this one works icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 4:23am
post #3 of 5

They are very delicate and I see the biggest problem you'll have in transporting the cake.
I've heard of people piping them on plastic wrap, then adding them to the cake. Pipe each set of 3 strings separately.

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

To expand on the idea from Kakeladi, you can draw your design and copy it several times onto a page. Then put your paper into a sheet protector from the office supply store that you have sanitized and pipe over your design. Once the royal icing dries, gently lift the individual pieces and place them on your cake. I use a small offset spatula. If you are going to travel with your cake, I would get there at least a day early and do your piping there. Place them on the cake the next day. Make sure you pipe plenty of extra pieces to replace the ones that break, and they will break. It is a beautiful effect. Good luck!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 4:40am
post #5 of 5

Maybe you could try sugar veil? I hear it is stronger. I have also seen a thread where people are using powdered gumpaste mix and piping it and having a stronger peice of lace.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%