Frosting Question

Decorating By Jenella Updated 2 Feb 2012 , 10:56am by Jenella

Jenella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenella Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 7

Hey,
I have got a cake due tomorrow and they want a stripey cake with a topper. They want frosting as the little girl doesnt like fondant. How do I get neat stripes using frosting? Any ideas would be great as im stumped!
Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 7

Sometimes you have to educate the customer as to what is possible and what is not. Personally, I would tell them that could only be done with fondant, and that the fondant would have buttercream underneath, so the girl could remove the fondant from hers and it would still have frosting, or they could pick a different design.

smm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smm99 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with Texas_Rose - I don't think you should bust your arse for something that take too long and not look good in the end.
However, I was typing that, the thought occurred to me that you could do stripes of fondant. Ice the cake in bc. Make the stripes out of fondant and apply them to the sides, leaving every third or fourth (or whatever, based on your design) "empty" to let the bc be the stripe. I realize that it won't be completely flat, but that way the little girl only has to remove a stripe or two from her piece.

It might be a totally dumb suggestion, but, hey, HTH.

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smm99

I agree with Texas_Rose - I don't think you should bust your arse for something that take too long and not look good in the end.
However, I was typing that, the thought occurred to me that you could do stripes of fondant. Ice the cake in bc. Make the stripes out of fondant and apply them to the sides, leaving every third or fourth (or whatever, based on your design) "empty" to let the bc be the stripe. I realize that it won't be completely flat, but that way the little girl only has to remove a stripe or two from her piece.

It might be a totally dumb suggestion, but, hey, HTH.

I do fondant stripes on buttercream all the time. Just roll the fondant really thin and apply to cake. It makes a nice presentation. The monkey cake in my gallery is iced in buttercream with fondant stripes and polka dots.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 7

Let it crust well then use a piece of kitchen string to mark the lines.

sweetnlow30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnlow30 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Let it crust well then use a piece of kitchen string to mark the lines.

This is what I did for a cake for my daughter. She wanted a Pokemon cake with red, black and white stripes. I crumb coated it, marked the center point, then used a piece of string to lay across and mark the stripes. I imagine this would be very time consuming if you were doing narrow pin stripes. I ended up piping the whole thing in small stars because it looked neater than trying to spread icing into the spaces.

Jenella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenella Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 10:56am
post #7 of 7

Hey everyone,
Thankyou for your help, really apreciated icon_smile.gif
I ended up using a ruler and fork lol, quite time consuming but actually turned out really well and the customer was really pleased.
I'l try and get a photo on here.
Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%