Help! Black Food Coloring Drying As Green On Gumpaste

Decorating By NancyH Updated 15 Dec 2011 , 1:14pm by psurrette

NancyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancyH Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 12:02am
post #1 of 5

I am making a figurine out of gumpaste and as I paint it black, it is drying with streaks and shimmers of green. I have never had this happen before and need it done for Saturday. I have used two separate brands:

1) Spectrum - Super Black - 10101
2) Cake Craft Food Colors - Super Black

Why is this happening?

Many thanks!

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 4:44am
post #2 of 5

I was taught that black food color is made with either a green or purple base, so it's your base color that is showing through.

Are those gel colors? If so, try using airbrush color instead. Technically, airbrushing is a form of painting, so it might work better.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 11:46am
post #3 of 5

I had that happen to me also. I finally resorted to Duff's black fondant, purchased from Michaels wiht a 50% off coupon. I had to add to it to make it firmer for my details. Using the colors was just too frustrating.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 5

That's a great idea. I too have noticed that if you want really intensive deep colors, purchase bottles of Duff's graffiti colors. I can't remember which one I tried out but I do know that I wrote to my cake friends about how well it worked and how it colored beautifully - oh yes it was the dark brown. (I used his gel colors not the sprays)

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 5

know your color wheel. The comment about green or purple base is true so if you are using black and it looks green add the opposite color this would be red and it will bring it back to black
If its purple based add little yellow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%