Need Shelf-Stable Granulated Sugar Icing

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 26 Dec 2011 , 11:41am by fellascarpet

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 19

I usually make IMBC for all of my cakes, but I am making cake-in-a-jar to give as gifts to neighbors, teachers, etc. for my daughters' school and I can't give IMBC with them (for storage/food safety reasons)!

I can't stand the taste of ABCs or powdered sugar based icings, after tasting MBCs icon_smile.gif Does anyone have a non-powdered sugar based icing without eggs that they like? I presume butter is okay, or at least more shelf-stable than even cooked eggs.

Thanks!

18 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 19

You can use powdered egg whites and see how that turns out. Also, you can give the whipped cream buttercream recipe (in the most saved recipes section) a try. It calls for meringue powder but I hate Wilton's so I just use the regular powdered egg whites and it turns out fine.

lrlt2000 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 19

Do you mean use powdered egg whites and make the IMBC recipe as it reads??? I normally don't like powdered egg whites--I think I made a BC with them a few months ago and hated the taste of it! I'm not sure what brand they were, I don't remember. It's helpful to know that it actually matters.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 2:55am
post #4 of 19

You would need to reconstitute the egg whites as it states on the package, to equal whatever you use in your recipe. I think the brand I use is Just Whites, although I could be wrong.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:21am
post #5 of 19

I would suggest chocolate ganache. It's a good Non ABC.
I'm no expert but I'm not sure using powdered egg whites makes an MBC shelf stable. Once you add the water in they go back to being perishable. Shelf stability is based on pH and water activity. I think reconstituting the egg whites would have the same pH and water activity of regular egg whites.

MrsNisch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNisch Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:35am
post #6 of 19

This is a frosting I have used before and it tastes pretty good. It uses flour, butter, granulated sugar. Light and fluffy more like whip cream.

http://obsessedwithbaking.blogspot.com/2009/02/flour-frosting.html

MrsNisch Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:36am
post #7 of 19

For some reason the image didn't work - go look at my photos it is the Hot Chocolate Cupcake

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2122329/

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:40am
post #8 of 19

There's a frosting that I found for whoopie pies. The maker would need to add 1 cup of milk, But its essentially 5 T flour cooked with 1 c milk until very thick , set aside to cool. Then use 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 c butter plus 1/2 c shortening and 2 tsp vanilla whipped until very fluffy (about 10 minutes) scraping the bowl down periodically. Then add the cooked flour mixture and bet it for another 15 minutes or so until very fluffy. It's almost like a mock whipped cream icing when you're done.
I was a little skeptical about it at first (when reading the recipe) but gave it a try anyway and was quite surprised!! It tastes really good. Not too sweet... Oh, and I also used more than just the vanilla. I added some butter flavor, almond extract, and a touch of orange extract to give it a little more complex flavor.
The good thing is that it doesn't have eggs in it and the milk that it does have will be cooked, therefore pasteurized.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:43am
post #9 of 19

Hahaha!! @ Mrs Nisch...looks like great minds think alike!! I must have been typing at the same time you were!! LOL!!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:50am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxicakes

There's a frosting that I found for whoopie pies. The maker would need to add 1 cup of milk, But its essentially 5 T flour cooked with 1 c milk until very thick , set aside to cool. Then use 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 c butter plus 1/2 c shortening and 2 tsp vanilla whipped until very fluffy (about 10 minutes) scraping the bowl down periodically. Then add the cooked flour mixture and bet it for another 15 minutes or so until very fluffy. It's almost like a mock whipped cream icing when you're done.
I was a little skeptical about it at first (when reading the recipe) but gave it a try anyway and was quite surprised!! It tastes really good. Not too sweet... Oh, and I also used more than just the vanilla. I added some butter flavor, almond extract, and a touch of orange extract to give it a little more complex flavor.
The good thing is that it doesn't have eggs in it and the milk that it does have will be cooked, therefore pasteurized.

I've read about this recipe many times, but was afraid to try.

Foxicakes, how long does this hold up in RT? Can it be left outside the fridge for a few days, without changing its taste? Was afraid after a day or two, it will taste 'floury'?

MrsNisch Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 4:57am
post #11 of 19

I think I had some of my cupcakes around for 3 days and they were still fine. I even put some if the fridge for later use and it was fine. No problems.

@Foxicakes - great minds do think a like. icon_biggrin.gif

mclaren Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 5:23am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNisch

I think I had some of my cupcakes around for 3 days and they were still fine. I even put some if the fridge for later use and it was fine. No problems.

@Foxicakes - great minds do think a like. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks MrsNisch....
The recipe that you used is the very same one that Foxicakes posted above (that has butter AND shortening)?

Can't wait to try this the next time I need icing for my cake.

lrlt2000 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:31pm
post #13 of 19

Wow, thank you all! I was beginning to accept the fact that I'd have to give these without topping! I'm going to revisit the glasine baggie with icing inside tied to the tops of these jars!

lrlt2000 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 19

Wow, thank you all! I was beginning to accept the fact that I'd have to give these without topping! I'm going to revisit the glasine baggie with icing inside tied to the tops of these jars!

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:20am
post #15 of 19

I went with Indydebi's Crisco BC and here's how they came out:

mclaren Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I went with Indydebi's Crisco BC and here's how they came out:

Looks very pretty! Like your label too!

But I'm surprised you used Debi's icing given that you originally asked for non-PS based icing (I believe hers - at least the one I've seen on CC before - has PS as an ingredient?).

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 6:39pm
post #17 of 19

Yes, it does, but I'm familiar with it as it is what I made before moving to IMBC--I didn't have enough materials or time to test out something new, and was afraid if it didn't work out or I didn't like the non-ps recipes I'd be up a creek!!!

Plus, a pp struck a chord with me when they said "they're not connoisseurs, we are" icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 6:40pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

Looks very pretty! Like your label too!

Thank you!

fellascarpet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fellascarpet Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 11:41am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

You would need to reconstitute the egg whites as it states on the package, to equal whatever you use in your recipe. I think the brand I use is Just Whites, although I could be wrong.

No dear you are not wrong here. nice post.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%