Advice On Buying Molds

Sugar Work By VMesser Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 3:24am by Domiee

VMesser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VMesser Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 2:48am
post #1 of 8

Hello All,
icon_smile.gif I've never bought or even used Candy Molds before. I'm Looking to make some Chocolate Treats for a Cake that I will be making for a Baby Shower.
Also Some Chocolate Lolly Pops also.

I have looked at the ones at My Local Micheal's and Joann Fabrics. Also online at Global Sugar Art and Sugar Craft.
I have heard good things about Global Sugar Art but Nothing about Sugar Craft ?????

Any Opinions? Any other sites that anyone thinks I should look into that they have used that they have had good results with or any that I should stand clear of?

My Budget is close to nothing so shipping cost is a question too.

Thanks for any Advice you can give me on ordering and where to order.

7 replies
SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 3:17am
post #2 of 8

I love Sweet Wise out of Nashville. They have all sorts of molds. As for advice on making them just make sure that you let the chocolate harden all the way in the mold before trying to take it out. And don't get the chocolate too hot. One thing that I really love especially for the detail work when using molds are CK Candy Writers. You can find them at Sweet Wise as well and they work wonders!! You can also find molds and the candy writers from Amazon where sometimes you can get free shipping.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:03am
post #3 of 8

First Impressions, great selection and S&H is very reasonable.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 8

It really depends on what you want. I enjoy the CK molds for some things, and the First Impressions ones for something else. The biggest issue is looking at what your mold is like. For example, I have some First Impression molds I really like, but they do not work well for chocolate. They have some very narrow spots, and it's hard to get the chocolate out without breaking. However, they work great for fondant. I really feel this is something best looked at on an element by element basis. There's no one right or wrong answer.

Domiee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Domiee Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 12:42am
post #5 of 8

I am looking for a musicall notes silicone mold. A friend of mine is getting married and she wants me to make her a poured sugar cake topper of musical notes. I have looked at a ton of places and have run out of ideas. Could anyone help? I would greatly appreciate it

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:12am
post #6 of 8

I've just finished making about 250 "Mocha Spoons". Most people make them by dipping a good quality plastic spoon in chocolate, but I found some molds and used the coffee stir sticks like you see at Starbucks.

I have cruised the internet extensively looking for a wide variety of candy molds and reasonable shipping & overall pricing. I just ordered a large order (about $100) from: http://chocomolds.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

They have excellent customer service, reasonable & fast shipping, and the more you purchase the higher the discount off the entire order. They carry a large variety of molds and once you have placed your order, you have access to their "members only" instructions for chocolate making. The instructions are good, but pretty basic.

Another company with Superb Products and customer service is: Their products are more expensive, but are of excellent quality. The Oreo cookie molds are the ONLY ones I've found that will easily accommodate a Double-Stuffed Oreo. All the other cookie molds are too shallow. (And the Wilton molds are a joke. They don't even cover the back of the cookie with chocolate!!!)

You are welcome to go to my photo website and see my chocolate work so far. If anything is of interest, just send me a PM and I'll give you whatever help you need. Click on each photo to make it larger, and scroll down to the bottom of the picture to read the explanation.
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/216

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:36am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiee

I am looking for a musicall notes silicone mold. A friend of mine is getting married and she wants me to make her a poured sugar cake topper of musical notes. I have looked at a ton of places and have run out of ideas. Could anyone help? I would greatly appreciate it

Look here: http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=note+mold&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US
You'd probably have to ask the vendor if the mold was suitable for melted sugar.

Domiee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Domiee Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:24am
post #8 of 8

Thank you!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%