Buttercream Greasy Taste

Baking By Quan86 Updated 22 Jan 2014 , 5:36pm by vldutoit

Quan86 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 13

I'm looking for a buttercream that doesn't have such a greasy taste after you eat it. I need a way to be able to cut the grease taste. thanks so much.

12 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 13

Is your recipe all shortening? You can try high ratio shortening (Alpine or Sweetex) and that will get rid of the greasy texture issue. If you can't get any high ratio, I would change your recipe and include some butter. If I make an American style buttercream (fat and powdered sugar), I use almost all butter and a bit of shortening to stabilize it.

A lot of people on here love this recipe and it's very highly rated:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing/

Good luck!

cupadeecakes Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, by all means, put the butter back in BUTTERcream! icon_biggrin.gif I use an all-butter buttercream and my customers rave over it!

Here's a link to the recipe I use... HTH!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 13

I agree, we use all butter buttercream and people LOVE it.

Quan86 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks So much!

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 13

butter or shortening or a combination of both, if you have too much of either, you may end up with a greasy feeling (although it's more likely if using a shortening recipe). LOTS of folks have said my crisco recipe is not greasy-feeling.

What is your fat/sugar ratio? That will help us see why you are getting that effect.

Quan86 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 13

1 cup of shortening
1 teaspoon of vanilla
8 teaspoon of water
1 lb of confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon of meringue powder
pinch of salt

I just don't like the greasy taste i want my butter cream to be smooth like the icing u get at bakeries. (like publix, or walmart)

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 13

icon_eek.gif 1 cup of shortening to 1 lb of sugar? my goodness, no wonder it tastes like shortening.

here's my recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing/ It only uses 1-1/3 cups shortening to TWO lbs of sugar.

I tried an alternate recipe once that was a 1:1 ratio and it was the absolute nastiest stuff I'd ever tasted. If that had been my only exposure to a crisco-based icing, I never would have eaten or used a crisco-icing again.

Fortunately, I knew, via my recipe, that a crisco based icing CAN taste better than that recipe and I get lots of emails from folks who say the same thing. I'd suggest you give mine a try and compare them .... see if this is closer to what you're looking for.

Quan86 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 13

Thank You so much indydebi!

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 13

You have alread been given several to try. I just want to point out that everyone's taste buds differ greatly. What one finds greasy the next loves. What one person hates another thinks is soooo delicious.
IndyDebi thinks 1 to 1 is greasy but here's one that have even more fat but tastes *super* - not greasy but creamy and a dream to work with.

2 of everything:

2 sticks of butter
2 cups of Crisco
2 pounds of powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring
2 pinches of salt

Combine butter and Crisco in mixer; beat (med to low speed) for 5 minutes. Add sugar mixed w/salt in 3 portions - mixing 5 minutes after each addition. Add flavoring; mix on low speed 10 minutes.

NOTES: this recipe does NOT crust.
To make it crust reduce either the butter or Crisco by 1 cup OR reduce each by 1/2 cup.
Flavoring: again, personal taste will play a roll in this. It can be all vanilla OR (even better) a mixture of *any* flavorings you prefere. Example: 2 teaspoons vanilla/1 teaspoon butter flavoring/1/2 teaspoon almond OR vanilla, butter and lemon. Play around with the flavoring until you find what you and your clients love best.

Quan86 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 13

ok Thank u kakeladi

tkatz Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 13

Could I use water instead of milk?  I'm trying to make a dairy free crusting butter cream.

Thank you!

vldutoit Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 5:36pm
post #13 of 13

AYes you can or you can use liquid dairy free coffee creamer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%