Wilton Wondermold Questions?

Decorating By Kaybaby Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 5:02pm by Kaybaby

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 4

I will be using the Wilton Wondermold for the first time. I am only a hobby baker, so I made sure to read up as much as possible. I have read that it takes anywhere from 5 to 7 cups of batter. To bake anywhere from 35 minutes to 75 minutes.

I honestly don't know how many cups to add or how long to bake it. What I do know is that the pan held 11 cups of water.

For those that have made this cake, what worked best for you? I will be using WASC. I also wanted to ask those that covered in fondant, how big did you roll the fondant? I'm assuming rolling in a circle would work best.

Thank you all so much,

Vonda

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 4

That pans takes about 1 full cake mix (More now since the BC mixes are smaller)..You don't want to fill it to the top or it will overflow...Use a dense recipe if you can..Mine usually takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes and if you are baking a white cake lower the temp to 325 and bake longer to prevent the top from burning...I would roll the fondant out in a large circle to cover.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 4

My *original* WASC recipe should be just right for the WonderMold. It is a dense recipe. I prefere to bake at 325. It will take longer but makes a much more moist cake. 1 1/4 hrs is about right but can vary w/the oven. As the other poster said, don't fill the pan.....2/3rds full is about right. Was that measure of 11 cups to the top of the pan?
BTW: one of the reasons you found such different info is that there are several sizes of WonderMolds. The older ones were smaller than the most recent. I have had 3 different sized ones over the years! Yes, they were all from Wilton.

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much. I have the most recent mold. I wouldn't use anything but the *original* WASC, it is so delicious. I will follow the advice given here on baking and filling.

Thanks again,

Vonda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%