Annoying Request! Someone Help Me - I Don't Know The Lingo..

Decorating By crazybus Updated 31 Oct 2011 , 1:15pm by AnnieCahill

crazybus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazybus Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all!

I had this one inquiry that asked me the following question:

"Do you make Wedding Cakes from mags?"

I responded that I was not sure what she meant, and because I did not know, she wouldn't tell me what it was and told me she would not be interested in my services.

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT SHE MEANT BY THIS? She told me that many other bakers knew what she was asking about.

I am thinking that she is asking whether I make Wedding Cakes that are featured in the Wedding Magazines or whether I will copy cakes seen in Wedding magazines?

Then again...I have NO CLUE what she meant by mags??

Please someone let me in on this....

Thanks icon_smile.gif

12 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 13

You got it exactly right.

You're not missing out by not having this Bridezilla as a customer.

HTH

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 13

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for clarification. My first thought was wedding magazines as well, but for all you knew it could have been an abbreviation for Madagascar!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 12:04am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

You got it exactly right.

You're not missing out by not having this Bridezilla as a customer.

HTH

thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 12:06am
post #5 of 13

You should have replied 'No, I make wedding cakes from cake!"

Honestly, was it such a hassle for her to say the complete word? What a bullet you dodged! Be happy!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 12:37am
post #6 of 13

lucky you, goodness, what an attitude, sure she meant magazines.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:34am
post #7 of 13

HI, it was a blessing you didn,t know, at the time. She would have been terrible to work with on her wedding cake.

Cilla17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cilla17 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:44am
post #8 of 13

In Australia "mags" is short for magazines. But seriously she couldn't be bothered to explain herself? I totally agree, you've dodged a bullet!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:27am
post #9 of 13

Ditto to what everyone else said- you would not have wanted a customer like that! How odd that she refused to clarify what she meant! Don't sweat it. NEXT!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 13

Just to play devils advocate here, maybe she felt since you did not understand her, that you may not be qualified. And seeing how other bakers did understand her, you not understanding her caused her some concern. I assumed she meant if you could replicate cakes out of magazines, since some will only do their own design. Her not clarifying was just her moving on. I wouldn't take it personal.

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 13

Here in the UK we would use "mags" sometimes short for magazines, however I still think she was being quite rude - lucky escape! lol

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 13

I also think she meant magazines but that is still a pretty broad question. I think the other bakers had a lucky guess.
Your right, she could have meant "Do you do cakes that are featured in magazines" or "Will you copy a cake out a magazine"
If she meant the second one there is a HUGE array of caked in magazines. That is pretty much asking "Can you do anything I want?"
Dodged a bullet. People using short forms and texting slang is becoming more and more regular in normal conversation. I even find myself doing it and have to go back and fix it. I still stubble across something in a text that I have no clue what the heck it means.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 1:15pm
post #13 of 13

Is it too difficult for people to type full words when they address someone? I know what it means, and if I received that email I would have deleted it without replying. People need to learn to be respectful when they write. I have a good friend who is an English teacher in a high school, and she says kids are submitting assignments using text lingo. Unbelievable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%