Hello - New Here, Need Help Please?

Decorating By designdiva22 Updated 31 Oct 2011 , 12:08am by designdiva22

designdiva22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designdiva22 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 12

Hi... I have been reading posts on these forums for the past few days and found everyone to be super helpful! I am making this cake for an order http://www.instructables.com/id/3d-Dinosaur-Birthday-Cake/?&sort=ACTIVE&limit=40&offset=120

But the customer asked for filling in the cake (Bavarian cream/pudding filling)

Any ideas on how to fill this cake since the instructions say to stack it side by side?

Thanks for the help!!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 12

I've made dinos like that. By side=by side they really mean to make a sandwich of two halves. Cut a round cake in half; filling is put between the 2 half rounds just as one would if it were a full round, then it is set up on the cut side. It will hold together. Just don't use a lot of filling. Another option: inject filling into the rounds. Use a tip4 ot 5 on a pastry bag filled w/the bavarian; push the tip into the cake and squeeze. Do this about every inch or 2 over the whole 1/2 round layer; sandwich the two helves w/a light coating of bavarian and proceed as usual.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 12

If I were duplicating the cake, I would take the two cakes for the dinosaur's body, torte them (4 thin cake slices), add the filling to the middle layers and crumb coat it and allow to set up and chill in the fridge then take out and follow the instructions. The tail and other pieces, you could use the same method - cut them in the required sizes then torte the cake and add the filling or leave them without the filling or just leave them as cake.

I guess it just depends on how much filling you want to add for the customer.

Hope I answered the question.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 12

I just quickly read through her instructions and I sure don't agree. The cake certainly will be strong enough made from a mixicon_smile.gif I've made dozens of them. (dinos)
Yes, this design was in a book. Can't think of the name of it but I had it at one time - it was all about different dinos to make. And.....I think it originally goes all the way back to a coconut brand that put out a pamphlet back around the '50s about different shapped cakes cut out of rounds or sheetcakes then cover w/coconut.

designdiva22 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 11:26am
post #5 of 12

Oh wow!! Thanks so much for your help!! I so appreciate it =) I will torte, fill then assemble. Thanks much!!!

designdiva22 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 11:41am
post #6 of 12

Do you think this cake as shown, 2-9 inch cakes will serve 25 people? How do I add more cake so that it serves 25? A base would be too large and could make more than 25 servings. Any ideas? Thanks!

MCurry Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva22

Do you think this cake as shown, 2-9 inch cakes will serve 25 people? How do I add more cake so that it serves 25? A base would be too large and could make more than 25 servings. Any ideas? Thanks!

I would say yes. However, it depends on how well the cake is cut after it is finished. If you are not cutting the cake, provide instructions on cutting it and include length and width of cake sizes. Wilton and other sources can give you the language.

If you are worried about making errors in carving the cake, I would bake a 10 inch so at least you will have a little more cake to work with.

designdiva22 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your quick response. I will make 10 inch cakes so that I have some wiggle room... great idea.

I am not really sure on how to provide instructions for a 3d cake... I have instructions and diagrams to cut round, square and rectangle cakes but how do I tell them how to cut a sculpted cake like this?

MCurry Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva22

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your quick response. I will make 10 inch cakes so that I have some wiggle room... great idea.

I am not really sure on how to provide instructions for a 3d cake... I have instructions and diagrams to cut round, square and rectangle cakes but how do I tell them how to cut a sculpted cake like this?

If you are going to fill the tail and arms with filling, I would tell them to start with the tail and work your way to the body of the dinosaur. On the body I think they should cut them in about 1/4 inch slices then cut those in half or even fourths. Since body is going to be around 7-8 inches high you have to keep this in mind when telling them about cutting it. I'm sure once they start cutting they will figure it out when they see where the filling is.

designdiva22 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 12

I wouldn't do the whole dino in star tip either. I would just ice it ...so much nicer on the hands too. Stars are really a pain in the patootie if you ask me and really look amateurish too. JMO...good luck

designdiva22 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 12:08am
post #12 of 12

Thanks! The cake turned out good and the customer was super happy!! Thanks for your help everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%