Will Fondant Toppers Break Down?

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 1:45am by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 8

I have some fondant toppers I made which will be placed directly on buttercream cupcakes. Some of them have been drying since Saturday/Sunday, but the others I just made two evenings ago. The party is on Saturday afternoon. The person I made them for is picking them up tomorrow early sometime.

Should I just wait and put the toppers on tomorrow morning and hope for the best? Do you think they will be ok?

7 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 8

I forgot to mention, I have some which are tombstones, stuck in the buttercream, and others which will just sit on top of the buttercream.

Thanks,
annie

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 8

I would feel them first to see if they are firm enough to stand up on their own. The buttercream will give them support too. If they are firm enough I think you would be okay to finish it up on Friday.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:21am
post #4 of 8

I only have experience with putting fondant flat on cupcakes. I dried mine in the oven with just the light on and they dried enough and were fine on the buttercream.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:25am
post #5 of 8

One time I stuck some fondant balloons into b,cream the night before and in the a.m. they had gotten soft and fell over. These were thin - cut from rolled out fondant .

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:28am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for your replies. The tombstones are definitely hard as a rock. The ghosts I'm not sure. I might just plop them on in the morning before I have to leave. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks again!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:31am
post #7 of 8

Both of these cakes had fondant elements on a buttercream base and neither the gumpaste nor the fondant started to break down except where it was in contact with the piping gel (water). Your fondant decorations should be fine.

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2010/12/les-pingouins-dit-noel-est-pour-la.html

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-alex.html

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:45am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much! It turns out that he is not picking them up until later in the afternoon, so I can put them on then.

Thanks so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%