Coconut Allergy

Decorating By saucyred Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 9:15pm by kakeladi

saucyred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saucyred Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone. I have someone that has come to me for a wedding cake who has a coconut allergy. They actually left the bakery they originally were getting their cake from because the bakery gave her a sample at the cake tasting that had coconut in it, and she then became very sick. I was thinking, sure, no problem, I can make you a coconut-free cake, but now I'm starting to freak myself out a bit. She would like vanilla pound cake covered in fondant (I use Wiltons). I have a call into a few places to make sure I'm not missing anything and have been doing a lot of online research, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

6 replies
ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry I can't help with the coconut allergy, but does she know for sure it was the coconut? If/when you make her cake you might want to give her a sample (maybe some of the top from leveling) just to make sure that it is not something else and she does not get sick on her wedding day. Just a thought.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 7

You should be fine as long as you make sure to clean and sanitize any nonporous equipment or surfaces that have come into contact with coconut (porous surfaces cannot be cleaned and should not be used). Make sure you have a disclaimer in your contract and that your liability insurance is up to date as well.

Also watch out for palm oil, depending on the source of the palm oil it could potentially trigger a coconut allergy.

saucyred Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 7

Hey guys! Sorry, I didn't get any notification of any replies! Ugh. Thank you so much for your comments. That is a great idea Renee. Thank you. Jason, luckily I never use coconut so that's one thing in my favor. I may add something to my contract as well, specific to allergies, just to be safe. And I will check in to the palm oil. I have an email out to the customer to get some more info on what exactly made her sick from the bakery she was at, as well as any other triggers I should know about. Thanks so much for your help!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 7

coconut can produce the same type of a reaction as a tree-nut allergy, and should be pretty much treated as such. (My son's allergist says that more and more it is considered in the 'tree nut allergy' family). It really does sneak up in odd sources (as does sunflower oil, which is his other main allergen) like gummy candies and in things looking to be more healthy than just standard soybean oil.

...and everything that Jason said thumbs_up.gif

saucyred Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much! Wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 7

As one who have this problem........YES, do watch out for palm oil in any ingredients you use - especially shorteneing.
I do not get really sick but it can trigger an athma attack for me icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%