Diamonds On A Pillow

Decorating By Momofjaic Updated 18 Oct 2011 , 12:58am by Momofjaic

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

ok I've been looking for how to d this for so long I'm running out of tome cake do at 6! How do I make a diamond pattern with alternating colors. To make it look like fabric? Please help!

5 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 6

Do you mean the quilting pattern? If so check the Wilton site www.wilton.com they have step by step instructions. Or you can get a quilting marker, it is three diamonds in a vertical row that you gently press into the icing/fondant and then you can go over it with the quilting tool. But since time is tight and if you don't have the tools check the wilton site. Good Luck

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

Momo,
If you're talking about alternating colors then you're talking about fondant cutouts. If you're talking about just the quilting pattern then you can follow the instructions on wilton or you can also purchase an impression mat...not something you have time to go buy obviousely.

The top tier of this cake is the quilting and the bottom tier is the cut outs.
http://www.keeponcaking.com/2011/03/christening-cake/

I used the Ateco diamond cutters for the bottom tier. They are awesome because they come in a ton of sizes in one container. However, if you don't have them you can squish a square cutter to make a diamond and use that but it will probably ruin your square cutter. If you have a local cake supply and you have time I would call them and see if they have the diamon cutter set. It would save you a ton of time.
Hope that helps. Can't wait to see your pillow cake.

Momofjaic Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 6

It is not the quilt pattern it's alternating colors I just did not want it raised. I just took it and ended up painting it. Thanks!! It was for my friend so she was good with that.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:17am
post #5 of 6

Momfjaic, If you decide you want them flush and not painted it's a lot of work. You would need to do this before you cover the cake in fondant. You would roll out large pieces of fondant in each color. The base color - probably white would be the piece you're going to put on the cake. Then using a cutter, you would cut out the alternating diamond pattern. Then on your color piece of fondant (be sure to make them the same thickness) using the same cutter, cut out the diamonds. Place them in the holes in the whitel. Lightly roll over them with a rolling pin to remove the seams and then place the entire piece of fondant on the cake...Honestly that is a TON of work. I did something similar for the cake board on this cake.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2021758

The board and the roof were the most time consuming parts of this cakeicon_smile.gif

Momofjaic Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:58am
post #6 of 6

I thOught about doiNg this but didn't know if it would work.I will try again when i've got time to play. I'm trying to post pics but can't seem to figure it out I can do cakes not computers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%