Salvage A Fallen Cake??

Baking By Erin3085 Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 11:44pm by gidgetdoescakes

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 9

Hi cakers. This is my first experience with a cake that fell while baking, and I have no idea how to work with it. I made a 10" WASC with DH mix. Same as always. No jostling, no noise, no overbeating...and my cake fell! The middle actually fell below to level of the rim of the cake pan, and the edges sank right to the level of the rim. My cakes always have a mound above, because I use the pan as a guide to level so that's quite a bit of sink! I carved a hunk off to taste, and it tastes fine. Is it still ok to use? I'm making a friend's baby shower cake, and this layer will be part of the bottom of a 10/8. I'd hate to have to toss it and start over, but I will if I have to obviously. What would you pros do? This has never happened to me before! Thanks for read.

Erin

8 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 9

Does the cake look like it's baked completely?

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 9

Yep. It passed the toothpick test too.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:26am
post #4 of 9

I've occasionally had this problem where a product passes the toothpick test but is still slightly underbaked. As it cools it sinks. Yuck. I now use a thin blade knife instead of a toothpick. It's much easier to see moist batter on the the knife blade as opposed to seeing it on the toothpick.

But it's still fine to use. Trim any part that's a little gummy.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:36am
post #5 of 9

It sound like it will be just fine to use.
Occasionally we just get a 'bad' cake mix. I'm thinking that is your problem.

NO wait!! you did NOT hold your mouth in the proper position while the batter was being put into the pan! Yes, that must be the answer!! hehehehe

churchivan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
churchivan Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 9

ugh I just had this happen to me htis afternoon, I used a duncan hines cake for the first time for the wasc recipe. will be swithching back to betty crocker.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchivan

ugh I just had this happen to me htis afternoon, I used a duncan hines cake for the first time for the wasc recipe. will be swithching back to betty crocker.

Funny, I had this happen with my WASC using Betty Crocker, so I switched to Duncan Hines! icon_smile.gif

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 9

I just had two fall awhile ago, using wasc one dh and the other bc....wth is going on...it happens with that recipe alot to me...Im going to find a new recipe....I am thinking it has to do with the companies smaller boxes maybe less mix?? I dont know but its ticking me off grrrrr

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 9

I just had two fall awhile ago, using wasc one dh and the other bc....wth is going on...it happens with that recipe alot to me...Im going to find a new recipe....I am thinking it has to do with the companies smaller boxes maybe less mix?? I dont know but its ticking me off grrrrr

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%