Gumpaste Decorations In The Fridge!!

Decorating By Caroiseaux Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 1:25pm by CarolinaGirlAsh

Caroiseaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caroiseaux Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! My question is: I have some cupcakes to delivery for morning Wednesday. So I will bake the cupcakes the Tuesday, frost them (with a SMBC) and can I put my gumpaste decorations on it and put in the fridge then? Because my gumpate decoration is very delicate! I use Satin Ice gumpaste. I wondering if the humudity will affect this. Because otherwise, I must do go out the cupcakes of the fridge maybe 2 hrs for put my decorations before the delivery otherwise the SMBC will be too hard for pic the decoration inside. My decorations they likes feathers, so very delicate...

Thank for all comments!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 5

Yes the humdity will effect your gumpaste/fondant...and the condensation is worse. I would not refrigerate the decoration.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 5

I've posted the same question I think two weeks ago (if pearl glaze can give some type of protection to gumpaste). In the end to be sure I added the GP decorations just before the delivery and didn't keep them on the cake in the fridge. Then I did a small experiment - made two small GP balls - one plain, the other one pearl-glazed. They have been sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks, sometimes I take them out just to see what happens, but nothing. They are ok. But they are small balls, if you have figures, it can be different. I used Wilton GP.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 5

I would put them on right before delivery. First...I have found out that no matter how dry decorations are, when they hit frosting, they will soften. It is only a matter of time. Second....The condensation when you remove the cupcakes w/ decorations from the refrig. will cause them to soften even quicker. Yes, humidity effects it. I have a dehumidifier in my workroom. I usually make my decorations 2 weeks in advance to make sure, without a doubt they are dry and they still soften if it is very humid in the rest of the house (I put the cakes together in the kitchen not in the workroom)or are put on the cake too early!

CarolinaGirlAsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaGirlAsh Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 5

I am new to this, but I put gumpaste and fondant in the fridge all the time. I live in a pretty humid area of the US and my fridge is often less humid than the outside. I notice that when I pull a fondant covered cake out of the fridge I sometimes get some condensation, but as long as I don't touch it while it comes to RT, then everything is fine. I've never had GP flowers or other decorations wilt in the fridge, but I usually only leave them there at most 2 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%