Need To Freeze Cake. What's The Best Way

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 10:02pm by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there,
I have a completely filled and camo buttercream design on my cake. I had to do it in advance because of time. This is for a friend who knew I was practicing. But still I want it to not get ruined by freezing it. what would be the best way to freeze the whole small 2 tier 8 and 6 already stacked ?

Then when I take out of freezer how should I handle it?

thanks, Wendy

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 5

Put the cake on a cookie sheet *UNwrapped* and put in fzr for an hour or so. Once it is cold/solid you can take it out and place in a plastic bag or wrap in plastic wrap.
You don't say for how long this needs to be in a fzr but it wont matter unless it for monthsicon_smile.gif
When ready to deliver, take out of fzr like the night before or early in the a.m. I like to put it in the frig overnight, then in hte am put it on the counter and UNwrap to come to room temp. If you see any moisture/sweating, **do NOT touch it** -- allow it to dry at room temp until all moisture has evaporated.

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 5

So nice to hear from you. icon_smile.gif
I will take it out then next Sat. and follow your instructions. I've froze cakes before but not when they had all the buttercream detail on them. I will place my trees, hunting gear on it Sat after it sets and the sweat is gone if that happens. Cake goes to friend on Sunday.
Thanks, Kakeladi

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 5

Box cake. Wrap box in 2 layers of saran wrap, 1 layer of foil. Put wrapped box in garbage bag. Place in freezer.

24 hrs. before serving, place completely boxed & wrapped cake in refrigerator. Several hours before serving, place boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp. Immediately before display & serving, remove cake from wrapping & box. Eat cake.

This is exactly how these cakes were handled. They were frozen for 2 weeks before serving:

Rae

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 5

Wow! beautiful cakes.
thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%