Need To Freeze Cake. What's The Best Way

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 10:02pm by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there,
I have a completely filled and camo buttercream design on my cake. I had to do it in advance because of time. This is for a friend who knew I was practicing. But still I want it to not get ruined by freezing it. what would be the best way to freeze the whole small 2 tier 8 and 6 already stacked ?

Then when I take out of freezer how should I handle it?

thanks, Wendy

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 5

Put the cake on a cookie sheet *UNwrapped* and put in fzr for an hour or so. Once it is cold/solid you can take it out and place in a plastic bag or wrap in plastic wrap.
You don't say for how long this needs to be in a fzr but it wont matter unless it for monthsicon_smile.gif
When ready to deliver, take out of fzr like the night before or early in the a.m. I like to put it in the frig overnight, then in hte am put it on the counter and UNwrap to come to room temp. If you see any moisture/sweating, **do NOT touch it** -- allow it to dry at room temp until all moisture has evaporated.

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 5

So nice to hear from you. icon_smile.gif
I will take it out then next Sat. and follow your instructions. I've froze cakes before but not when they had all the buttercream detail on them. I will place my trees, hunting gear on it Sat after it sets and the sweat is gone if that happens. Cake goes to friend on Sunday.
Thanks, Kakeladi

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 5

Box cake. Wrap box in 2 layers of saran wrap, 1 layer of foil. Put wrapped box in garbage bag. Place in freezer.

24 hrs. before serving, place completely boxed & wrapped cake in refrigerator. Several hours before serving, place boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp. Immediately before display & serving, remove cake from wrapping & box. Eat cake.

This is exactly how these cakes were handled. They were frozen for 2 weeks before serving:

Rae

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 5

Wow! beautiful cakes.
thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%