Crusting Buttercream Stuck To The Wax Paper

Decorating By StormyHaze Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 4:42pm by 2txmedics

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:02am
post #1 of 8

Hey all! I decided to try out the frozen buttercream image transfer technique. All I have to say is, leave the image in the freezer overnight, or you WILL regret it. I left mine in for an hour, thinking it would be fine, but nooo. When i put it on the center of the cake, i got soo excited because the image looked so clean and crisp. So i slowly tried to peel the wax paper away from the icing.

NOT HAPPENING.

The icing was peeling away from the cake and yet sticking to the paper. I tried to pull the paper from different areas on the image, thinking that perhaps the original spot i chose was just a difficult are. Same deal almost all around. And of course, by trying to separate and then giving up and then triying again, the icing image was getting more and more warped in different areas.

How of frustration, I left and vented on the phone to my significant other for about 15 minutes. Then i came back, and i was expecting to have to re ice the cake and just pipe on an entirely new design.

Well, i didn't have to. THANK GOD. Like i mentioned before, the icing image had become warped due to the agitating. I tried one last time to put the wax paper from the image, and it did!!

After that, i immediately got to work on redoing the black linings on the outside and inside (which was of course on top of the flat image), and made that look a bit better. then, to make up for the less than perfect image that was smack dap in the middle of the cake, I luckily had a whole bowl of pre-colored left over frosting that was in the freezer that was just begging to be used. I made an elaborate semi spiderweb pattern on top with stripes running own the side in black and green.

What i learned from that ordeal:

1. Do your image at least 24 hours in advance.

2. Always have extra frosting on hand, just in case.

3. Sometimes disasters aren't as bad as they initially seem.

3. Practice new techniques on a cake dummy instead of a cake someone paid for.

4. Cakes with imperfections can be covered up with elaborate piping skills.

Lesson learned.

7 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:51am
post #2 of 8

That happened to me once and now I use parchment paper. It never sticks. I freeze them for 1.5 hours usually and everything comes out ok. Of course if I have the time I freeze them over night. But try using parchment next time!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 8

Overnight in the freezer is definitely great advice. And ditto on the parchment paper. The silicone treatment is SO much better for FBCTs. You are great for sharing your experience so others can learn from them. I have a few things under my belt that I would have had NO IDEA how to deal with them except for the generous folks who shared their "Omg, guess what *I* did!" moment! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 8

I've always used wax paper for mine and haven't had a problem. I also often have my transfers in the freezer for less than an hour.

Two issues I have had though, is if my icing is soft it sticks to the paper more, usually black and red, so I use a soft medium icing. Too thin of a transfer also sticks. Also once the FBCT comes out of the freezer you have to work very quickly. You need to place and pull that backing as fast as you can, as in in seconds, since it thaws very fast.

If you do have one that doesn't want to release nicely, stick the cake and all in the freezer to harden it back up.

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've always used wax paper for mine and haven't had a problem. I also often have my transfers in the freezer for less than an hour.

Two issues I have had though, is if my icing is soft it sticks to the paper more, usually black and red, so I use a soft medium icing. Too thin of a transfer also sticks. Also once the FBCT comes out of the freezer you have to work very quickly. You need to place and pull that backing as fast as you can, as in in seconds, since it thaws very fast.

If you do have one that doesn't want to release nicely, stick the cake and all in the freezer to harden it back up.

If i had ripped it off like a band-aid i would not have been able to save th image. When i left it alone for about 10 minutes, then and only then and SLOWLY was i able to get the paper off without damaging it further.

i understand that you have o get the image on the cake very quickly. i did that.

What makes for a stiffer bc? I had both butter and shortening in the icing.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:05am
post #6 of 8

Not trying to disagree or be a know it all, but I have never had a problem with buttercream transfers. I use regular wax paper and freezer time is usually less that 1 hour. After you freeze the design itself are you quickly and carefully putting a layer of icing over the entire thing and then refreezing?

If your icing is soft, runny or thinned this is probably the problem.

Use buttercream that is normal piping consistency.

Black or very dark colors do take a little more time.

Buttercream made with regular shortening instead of high ratio shortenings work better.

Replace the milk or cream in your recipe with water for both the transfer and the icing that goes over it, ice your cake in whatever you normally use.

Once you put it in the freezer don't open the door to check on it every few minutes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 8

The idea behind pulling the wax paper off quickly is that the buttercream will thaw very fast, and as it thaws it will stick more and more. It does help to have the transfer thicker, but I have never done the extra coat on the back myself. I just make sure I get it thicker when I make it.

I'm not sure there is a best icing, because I have seen people that have used many different versions with no problems. I always just use what I normally use on my cake, which made with crisco.

I had one transfer that stuck, it was red and black. The icing was too soft, and I ended up making it too thin, plus it had alot of small parts sticking off. I've done many of them, same as I always have, and other than that one time, haven't had any problems with them.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 8

I use wax paper all the time and either Indys or Sharons BC recipe...both Crust awesome!!!!

I VERY lightly spray Pam spray on the wax paper and then wipe it off alittle and I have no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%