I Give Up, I Need A Graphic Designer!

Business By rlowry03 Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 8:04am by scp1127

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 9

I've been trying and trying to create my own logo. I know what I want. I just don't know how to actually make it happen in digital form! I hate when computer software is smarter than me!!! So I'm ready to throw in the towel on my own efforts and have someone with graphic design knowledge do it for me. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay for the experienced designer. I've thought about contacting the local colleges and seeing if anyone is interested in doing a logo in trade for a small amount of money and some yummy baked goods. I just don't know how to word it. I hate to say I need your talent but all I can offer is food! I know that what I want is not super complicated and the design itself is pretty much done, so the hours they would put in would be very limited. And it would build their portfolio.

I'm just wondering how do I put an offer like this out there? Or what would be a fair price for a student? (And yes, I know you get what you pay for. Sometimes you have get what you can afford. I just need to basically brand this business so I'm not sending out blank bakery boxes.)

8 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 9

How much actual money could you throw at this? I just had my logo re-done through Etsy, it was $150 for an original logo, but there were plenty of premade logos for sale for as little as $20 from designers in China and other countries. They aren't original designs (meaning, they keep selling the same design over and over and just change the words) but if you are just starting out or are not profitable that is perfectly fine until you get on your feet enough to be able to afford to re-brand yourself with your original design. That's what I had to do!

Good luck,

Jen

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 9

If you know what you want, could you sketch it out on paper? Maybe if you have a sketch and it's not too complicated someone here would be willing to help. I love to mess around in photoshop, but unfortunately my PC is down at the moment or else I would give it a shot. My laptop doesn't have photoshop on it and it's driving me bonkers.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 9

You could even email or show up at actual graphic design firms and offer a barter deal. They may or may not take it, but it could be worth a try. Hey, I'm branding my business, and as it's a new business I don't have a lot of income yet, would you or anyone at your firm be interested in bartering a logo design for a custom designed cake?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 9

Kelly at Levitate Web Design did mine for $50. Give her an email, tell her I sent you.

[email protected]

RebelsLGB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelsLGB Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 9

I spent $100 on mine and that included a business card design (front & back)

baileysdaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baileysdaddy Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 9

crowdspring.com is the best website for this type of situation. You describe what you're looking for, how much you can afford to pay, and post it as a project. Designers will see your project and decide if it's something they are interested in. If so, they will post their designs for you to choose from. Hope that helps.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 9

I went to freelancer.com. I had several companies bid. I gave the job to the company of my choice, they provided 5 work-ups based on what I told them I wanted, and I chose which one...they tweaked it for me too. It cost me $75 to get 2 different versions of the same basic logo, to be used on different colored backgrounds.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:04am
post #9 of 9

I second FromScratch's sugestion for Etsy. I didn't get mine there, but I just looked up labeling for dessert buffets and not only are these people talented, they welcome custom work and the prices are reasonable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%