Betty Crocker Cake Mix... Add Pudding Or Not?

Baking By kellyd01 Updated 7 Jan 2015 , 11:47pm by kakeladi

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 7

This may be a dumb question but I'm tired and frazzled so I'm asking it! LOL!!! When I make cakes w/ a box mix I almost always add 1 box of pudding and 1 extra egg. I usually use Duncan Hines brand, and it's always turned out well. The cake I need for tomorrow DH picked up the mix for me and he bought betty crocker which already has pudding in it. Would you still add the pudding and extra egg? or not??

Thanks!

6 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't if it has pudding already in it. Might be overkill.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 7

I actually do...I feel that it just boosts the flavor. About 1/2 a small box per box of cake mix...I always use the WASC method with that.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 7

I STRONGLY recommend that every new cake decorator purchase at least one book: The Cake Mix Doctor, by Anne Byrn, ISBN-10: 0761117199. You can get it online for under $5 from half.com including shipping. It doesn't matter if the book is new, because you'll end up getting "batter spatter" on the pages from all the fabulous recipes!

http://www.half.ebay.com/

My family, friends and neighbors say my cake is the best cake they've ever tasted, and MOST of my cakes are from doctored cake mixes using recipes from the book above. In the first chapter (worth the price of the book for this chapter alone), Cake 101, Anne talks about pudding-in-the-mix cake mixes (Betty Crocker and Pillsbury) and Duncan Hines (NO pudding in the mix). She recommends:

"1st--don't use a mix with pudding inside if you're following a recipe that calls for instant pudding as an ingredient, and many in this book do."

"Second, cake mixes with pudding will be heavier, and very moist. If you want a light layer cake and are planning on placing a filling between the layers and then adding frosting, they're not your best bet. The bottom layer will be quite wet."

"Last, pudding cakes tend to shrink upon cooling. This may or may not.... bother you."

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 7

I always add pudding to my BC cake box but I do not add anything extra to it such as an extra egg & it turns out perfect thumbs_up.gif

Millie ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Millie ann Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 7

AI see responses about adding pudding mixes to Betty Crocker pudding already in the cake mix recipes, but do you still follow the same baking time? I just became interested in baking. So I'm still on the disaster area of baking. Is it wise to increase liquids any other adjustments? (Laugh quietly please)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 7

I have baked w/Betty for over 30 yrs.  I do NOT add pudding nor extra liquids.  The best recipe I have ever used is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/t/584319/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Please take the time to read the WHOLE post and comments.  There are many hints and explanations posted throughout.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%