Need Cake Help!

Decorating By JBNY13 Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 8:25pm by JBNY13

JBNY13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBNY13 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a rolex cake watch. It'll be a sheet cake with the rolex watch made out of fondant in the middle.

Here are my questions:
1. It is due on a Sunday, but I am delivering it on Friday night. I was planning on covering the cake with fondant, but would a smooth layer of buttercream hold up better?

2. The rolex watch needs to be silver. Should I airbrush the fondant or could I just mix the lustre dust with vodka and paint it with that mixture? I don't have an airbrush machine, so I was hoping to just paint it, but I'm scared I won't get a smooth finish. I don't want any white showing.

Thanks for the help! I REALLY appreciate all the advice.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 5

Either b'ccream or fondant will hold up just fine. I would paint the dust/vodka mixture.
You will get a smooth finish painting if the mixture is right. If it seems splotchy or have little lumps you don't have enough vodka mixed into it. If it streaks or white shows through you have too much vodka/not enough dust.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 5

Fondant will be fine. For small silver or gold I use my airbrush color painted on with a brush, works like a charm. If you are near a Michael's store Duff now sells airbrush color. I have used his gold and it is great when painted on. I hear that the silver aerosol isn't good but the liquid colors are. A bit expensive though.

JBNY13 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for your help! I would love to use the Duff airbrush but you're right, they are pricey! I heard from a tutorial on youtube that you could get one for $15. I may just paint it and use your advice of not using too much vodka or dust and put the watch on fondant. Can't wait to show you the finished product. Thanks again!

JBNY13 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for your help! I would love to use the Duff airbrush but you're right, they are pricey! I heard from a tutorial on youtube that you could get one for $15. I may just paint it and use your advice of not using too much vodka or dust and put the watch on fondant. Can't wait to show you the finished product. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%