Wholesale Ingredients-Help

Business By KKristy Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 11:51pm by KKristy

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have a recommendation for whole sale ingredients/ cake items besides CK ?
I have a small retail bakery - I order from CK often - but I am tired of them always being out of stock, items on back order and sending the wrong items.
I need things like sleeve fillings, bulk sprinkles, fondant,etc -
The food wholesale that I use ( u.s. foods )does not carry these specific items).
Global Sugar Art does not give a wholesale discount - any other suggestions?

8 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 9

Check with restaurant suppliers or bakery suppliers and see if you can get an account. I have accounts with different places and use them all. Check on the net, google each category and put the largest city that is closest to you. You may well be surprised at what comes up.
evelyn

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 9

I have a local wholesale foods store I buy my larger items from such as PS, granulate sugar, cake flour, shortening etc..but for the specialty items, I have to buy online because no one around here sells it!! icon_cry.gif I use both global sugar art and www.fondantsource.com Prices are close, but global costs more, but offers cheaper shipping options for small orders.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 9

when I had my shops I found that many times it was just as easy/cheap to buy right from the grocery store or places like Sam's Club/Cosco and Gordon's Food Supply(?) than the so-called wholesale places. The problems you stated had much to do with it - it often was much less hassel for the few pennies you might save.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 9

I feel your pain with CK - I am getting irritated at their lack of technology. There is no excuse on why their website can't tell me if an item is in stock, or tell me how much estimated shipping is going to be.

Try Lucks.com. They carry a lot of the stuff that we use, no minimum, nice selection. Wholesale only.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 9

Try qzina.com. They have several distribution centers throughout the counrty.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 9

We buy most of our ingredients from the local grocery store, Target, Whole Foods, Costco, Amazon.com, Restaurant Depot (a restaurant supply store that is open to businesses only), and BakeMark (a national distributor).

Restaurant Depot in particular has great prices on bulk products, for example 50# bags of cake flour are $15.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 9

[quote="KKristy"]Does anyone have a recommendation for whole sale ingredients/ cake items besides CK ?
I have a small retail bakery - I order from CK often - but I am tired of them always being out of stock, items on back order and sending the wrong items.
I need things like sleeve fillings, bulk sprinkles, fondant,etc -
The food wholesale that I use ( u.s. foods )does not carry these specific items).
does not give a wholesale discount - any other suggestions?[/quote]

Do you have Dawn Foods with a will call department near you?

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the responces! We use U.S. Foods for most ingredients - they are great,friendly and fast and Costco- but they don't carry things like gumpaste, fondant, sleeved pastry filling so I need to find someone for those special items -
Leahs - does Dawn carry those?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%