Need Help On Offset Round Wedding Cake

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 1:49pm by kakeladi

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing 4 tiers (14, 12, 10, 8 ) of 4" high each and they will be lined up on the back side of each tier. If I use SPS will this hold up okay, or is it going to fall backwards? I'm very uncertain about this and would appreciate any helpful comments!

4 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlotCook

I am doing 4 tiers (14, 12, 10, 8 ) of 4" high each and they will be lined up on the back side of each tier. If I use SPS will this hold up okay, or is it going to fall backwards? I'm very uncertain about this and would appreciate any helpful comments!

haha! Yes, they will hold, but make sure you don't have the support on the edge, keep as much cake between the support and the edge as possible.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:19am
post #3 of 5

I just did a three tier like this. Yes it does hold fine but you have to make sure everything is super level and you need a small or flat border so it doesn't extend over the edge of the cakes where they're all lined up. I don't use SPS but double center-doweled my cake to make sure that there was no shifting in transport. I used the hollow plastic Wilton dowels in my cake.

And, yes as Anna mentioned, make sure that your supports don't get too close to the edge of the cake - I think SPS is ok in this regard. Also I used ganache and fondant which helps keep everything firm.

If those cantilevered cakes can make it than this can...I had no troubles with it. Good luck.

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the tips!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 5

I would be tempted to put every other support plate as far to the front as possible to help balance the weight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%