Kit Or Piece Out Decorating Tools?

Decorating By Emmnemms Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 2:05pm by TexasSugar

Emmnemms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmnemms Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:38am
post #1 of 8

Hiya icon_smile.gif
So I'm looking to start my "cake decorating" supply list.

In your opinion, is it better to buy a kit (such as Wilton Ultimate) which i can get for approx, $120 (40% coupon and Oregon doesn't have tax) but have some things i might not use and still have to buy the extras that aren't included, Or should I buy exactly what I need and then buy the rest later as needed....

And, if you think i should buy piece by piece, help me make up my shopping list... I have pretty much nothing (but do have experience, i just don't own any of the tools i used)

Thanks Oodles icon_smile.gif
Emm

7 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:03am
post #2 of 8

Hi Emm,
I wished I had asked this question before I bought a few of the "grouped" items. I personally prefer to buy things individually. Everyone will have different opinions of what you need but starting out the things I needed were the following:

Good storage for tips: Some people like the Wilton tip cases others prefer the storage units for nuts and bolts you get at home depot but you need some way to keep them organized

Multiples of your favorite tips. For me that the 1M which does the big cupcake swirl and the rose tips, 101-104. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_petaltips
Good rolling pin.
Color gels - if you have a Hobby Lobby, they sell both Americolors and Wilton colors. At a minimum splurge for the Americolors for at least red and black. I prefer them over all to the Wilton but if you only have a Michael's then Wilton is fine. I bought the 12 pack of colors and found 1/2 of them dried out because I never used them and the colors I needed werent' included so now I buy all my colors as individual tubs.

Invest in Press and Seal wrap...it's awesome....

Other helpful tips not related to supplies.
Keep a trash bag close so you're not running back and forth to the trash can...saves me a ton of time.
Use this technique for filling piping bags. Not messy and super easy
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_petaltips
Check out Sugar Shack's DVDs at www.sugaredproductions.com

Welcome to Cake Central. I hope you like it here.

Emmnemms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmnemms Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 8

Thank you very much for your help icon_smile.gif
I have never heard of Hobby Lobby, so i'm going to assume we do not have one.... But we do have access to amazon icon_wink.gif I figured I would order a set of Americolors ($12, free shipping) off Amazon.

And as for the tip storage, I make jewelry so i have oodles of storage cases i could use.

Thank you ever so much, and any more advice is appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

cordelia17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordelia17 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:55am
post #4 of 8

Some other basics that you might want to consider... A turntable is really handy to have when you ice a cake, also an 8 or 9 inch icing spatula. A bench scraper that can stand flat on its side is my favorite tool to use to get smooth sides on a cake.
Is there anything specific that you are looking for such as tools for buttercream, fondant or cake pans?

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:24am
post #5 of 8

If you decide to get the Wilton tool kit, wait until you find a 50% off coupon - Michael's and AC Moore have them frequently. AC Moore actually just had a one day only 55% off coupon.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:26am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelia17

Some other basics that you might want to consider... A turntable is really handy to have when you ice a cake, also an 8 or 9 inch icing spatula. A bench scraper that can stand flat on its side is my favorite tool to use to get smooth sides on a cake.
Is there anything specific that you are looking for such as tools for buttercream, fondant or cake pans?

OOO...OOO ...spatulas, how did I forget spatulas. I have 2 of the small offset ones and 2 of the long ones. I personally have better control with the small ones but get at least one of each and you'll soon figure out which ones you wish you had more oficon_smile.gif

Not to mention all my batter spatulas..my house is like Spatula Cityicon_smile.gif

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:40am
post #7 of 8

For myself, I prefer buying the pieces I need and want rather than a whole kit. I saw several kits however there were only a few pieces I wanted so I ended up just getting the few pieces. As another person mentioned, one tip I like having multiples of is the 1M.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 8

Wilton's Ultimate Tool Set is geared towards those wanting to take the Wilton classes. It has all the items from the three course kits plus some extra stuff. If you plan on taking the course, it could be a better buy, with a coupon of course.

If you don't plan on talking the classes then I think it would depend on how many items come in it that you will never use. If it is just a few, again it's probably a better buy than buying things separately. But if there is a lot that you think you will never use, then I'd skip it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%