Favorite Recipe For Doctored Mix Cupcakes?

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 11:24pm by AKS

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:17am
post #1 of 6

I am looking for a great doctored up boxed mix that I can use for cupcakes. I like scratch baking, but it's a bit too expensive.

I've tried adding a box of pudding and an extra egg to boxed mixes. It tastes great, but my cupcakes tend to fall. And I can't tell if they're done in the center. My toothpick comes out pretty clean but they seem too gooey to be done.

I'm thinking about trying the WASC recipe next. I just haven't seen anything about how it works for cupcakes. Good or bad?

If you have another recipe please let me know. Just looking for basic flavors right now, vanilla/chocolate/butter/etc.

5 replies
pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:32am
post #2 of 6

Sometimes I scratch, sometimes I wasc They are both good. If your wasc cuppies come out dry, they've been overbaked. They will seem "sticky" to the touch when you check them. If you toothpick check them, a few crumbs sticking to the toothpick means it's done.

I find that baking at 400 for 7 minutes, then dropping the temperature to 350 for 10-11 minutes makes for a nice dome on the cupcakes, whether they are scratch or wasc

Every now and then I will get the "volcano" look on my cupcakes. Sometimes, it's too much leavening. Sometimes, I've beaten the batter too much. The nice thing about cupcakes-- once you stick a frosting swirl on there, you'll never know about the fallen cupcake tops.

** Same answer I gave on your other post icon_smile.gif

rlowry03 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:38am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I know I posted this twice, but my first post wasn't showing up on my computer and I got an error so I tried again!

rlowry03 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:41am
post #4 of 6

Ironically, this post isn't showing up in the forum on my computer either. I don't understand. The only way I get here is clicking the back button...

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:02am
post #5 of 6

I've had the same thing off and on. On one of my posts, I had to click the "watch this topic" button, so I could find it again icon_smile.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 6

I use the Durable Cake recipe on this site. It comes out really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%