Smooth Shiny Black Buttercream?

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 4:53pm by GarciaGM

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a Star Wars cake for my neighbor, and to give her an idea of the design I showed her this picture:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1516052

She seems to prefer the look of fondant, but I talked her into BC, since fondant hates me, and she said she liked the look of the buttercream in this picture. But now I'm worried it's not going to look as good and she'll be disappointed. I think I can get the BC pretty smooth, but I'm worried it will look dull. The cake in the picture is airbrushed black. I don't have an airbrush or a steamer, so is my cake going to look dull in comparison? Any tips for making it look better?

9 replies
traci_doodle Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 12:47am
post #2 of 10

Anyone? Mostly I just want to know if black buttercream will have a dull finish if I just put the food color in the BC. I tried to search for images with black frosting, but I guess most people don't want all that food coloring. icon_smile.gif

SweetDelites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDelites Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 12:56am
post #3 of 10

I used black buttercream a few times, it wasn't dull. However it takes a lot of black to get a good color.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 12:59am
post #4 of 10

Better give them a heads up about eating all that black buttercream........black lips and gums..lol.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:27am
post #5 of 10

How does your neighbor feel about using chocolate buttercream? If you start with it for the black icing, you won't have to add so much coloring, and, my chocolate buttercream anyways, often has more of that (greasy?) shine to it. Although you could probably achieve the same thing by decreasing your powdered sugar ever so slightly. That might make your icing a little softer than you prefer though.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:31am
post #6 of 10

It depends on the icing recipe..I get a really good shiny black because I use WBH which is a whipped bakery icing and the colors always look shiny.Almost like a IMBC or SMBC.Most BC's look dull.

GarciaGM Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #7 of 10

Now that I think about it...could it be that my chocolate is so shiny because it's an all-butter recipe? Just a thought.

traci_doodle Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:14am
post #8 of 10

I was planning on doing chocolate buttercream. I guess I'll have to experiment and see how it looks before I frost the cake. Wish me luck! I always have such high expectations, fall short, but then everyone seems to love it anyway. I guess I'm my own worst critic. Now if I can just make up my mind over which white cake recipe to make. icon_smile.gif

traci_doodle Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 10

Well, I finished! It wasn't as "shiny" as the original, but I'm really happy with how it turned out!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2137131

GarciaGM Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 10

Great job!! Kudos for doing all that work!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%