Why Is My Choc Cake So Squishy!??

Baking By JustBakedCakes Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 2:38am by KayMc

JustBakedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedCakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 5

I use Duncan Hines cake mix and I DREAD whenever someone ask for Choc. I mostly just follow the recipe on the box, adding pudding too, with the exception of the oil. I usually only use half of what it calls for and sometimes none at all. Some where along the lines I picked up that using less oil will make for a denser cake. I'm not sure that is correct though. I also read recently that omitting the pudding would make it alittle denser too. I tried that last night and it didn't change the texture. Everytime I make it it is still very soft, almost wet. I know its cooked through. And the texture when I torte it seems very spongey, it even makes a squishy sound. Not to mention it's sticky!! How can I make this Choc cake mix more dense and less moist?? It is very difficult to ice too and seems to pull apart very easy leaving tons of crumbs in my crumb coat. Any one have any suggestions?? TIA!!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 5

Ditch DH. Use Betty icon_smile.gif
Also use the *original* WASC recipe and you will have a wonderful, dense, moist cake.

JustBakedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedCakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 5

Betty really?? I will try hers next time. I actually made WASC for the first time last night too and I love it. I'm doing a Flip Flop cake and one is Choc. and one is WASC. I've read that you can use the base of the WASC to make other cakes. Can you make a choc cake with it?

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 5

You can turn any flavor cake mix into a WASC cake. I've had tremendous success with them. They are so easy to make and they turn out wonderfully moist. I have so many compliments and requests when I use the WASC recipe. Happy caking!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:38am
post #5 of 5

Don't use ANY box mix for chocolate. The recipe for Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake on the Hershey's baking chocolate tin is super tasty, and easy to make. Make it once, and you will NEVER use a box mix again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%