Is It Possible To Make True White Mmf?

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 7:26am by jules5000

sarascakecreations Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 12

Hello all,

Ok so I've been making cakes for a few years now and always use homemade MMF other than black and red... and have made wedding cakes before but the table cloths were always colored.

So a few weeks ago I made a white cake and it went on a white table cloth.... well the sheet was white but my cake looked offwhite! or even ivory almost! I was so terrified of getting a horrible phone call from the bride. But thankfully she didn't seem to notice.

So my question is... Is it possible to make a true nice white MMF?

11 replies
dsilvest Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:05am
post #2 of 12

I found that MMF was a bit off white. I tried making Toba Garrett's fondant and it was much whiter. The recipe is located here in CC.

Chonte Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:25am
post #3 of 12

maybe adding some white coloring?

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 12

I added Wilton's white coloring last week and found it turned out much whiter. I think I may do this from now on! I actually kneaded it in after the fondant was all done--next time, I think I may do it while I'm melting the marshmallows.

jennajane Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:45am
post #5 of 12

I second "the other way to make fondant". I have been making the fondant from gelatin there are a couple of recipes here, they are pretty much all the same. I found that it turned out really white. Check my "pig-cow" cake in my photos. When I tried to make black with no chocolate I did run into some problems. HTH

sarascakecreations Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:53am
post #6 of 12

dsilvest... do you mind sharing a link to the website? I can't find it... not so good with the search tool.

lrlt2000.... where would I find wilton's white color? I haven't seen it at my local bulk barn or mccalls? (local cake shop)

sarascakecreations Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:57am
post #7 of 12

Sorry is this the white color you are talking about?

If so it's like a liquid right?? Not a paste like the other colors? Would you mind telling me how much you added? Sorry I know it may be hard to gauge... but like do you add a few drops or like a full tsp or tbsp?? I make the normal MMF recipe.

dsilvest Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #8 of 12

Try Michaels if you can't find it at The Bulk Barn. Mine carries it. You might ask one of the employees if they carry it.

jules5000 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:21am
post #9 of 12

Also Hobby Lobbies around the midwest carry it and so do most Joann's fabric stores( they carry a lot of Wilton things and have classes). There are quite a few places on line that sell Wilton items, but I am betting there might be other white "coloring" available. I think it is so funny that there is a white color out there. Am I the only one?

Chonte Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:06am
post #10 of 12

Sara add about a teaspoon to your marshmallows before you add the powdered sugar. you can always knead in more later

sarascakecreations Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 12

I did it and it looks awesome! Thanks so much.... you would think I could've figured this out lol... hhhmmm how do I get white fondant? duh! add white color LOL

jules5000 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:26am
post #12 of 12

Whenever I have made marshmallow Fondant it has always looked white to me so I guess that I would not have thought about the need for the white coloring. I guess that it depends on what you are comparing it to. There are many whites out there and until you have a whiter white to compare it to it can look pretty white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%