Is It Possible To Make True White Mmf?

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 7:26am by jules5000

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 12

Hello all,

Ok so I've been making cakes for a few years now and always use homemade MMF other than black and red... and have made wedding cakes before but the table cloths were always colored.

So a few weeks ago I made a white cake and it went on a white table cloth.... well the sheet was white but my cake looked offwhite! or even ivory almost! I was so terrified of getting a horrible phone call from the bride. But thankfully she didn't seem to notice.

So my question is... Is it possible to make a true nice white MMF?

S.

11 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:05am
post #2 of 12

I found that MMF was a bit off white. I tried making Toba Garrett's fondant and it was much whiter. The recipe is located here in CC.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:25am
post #3 of 12

maybe adding some white coloring?

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 12

I added Wilton's white coloring last week and found it turned out much whiter. I think I may do this from now on! I actually kneaded it in after the fondant was all done--next time, I think I may do it while I'm melting the marshmallows.

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:45am
post #5 of 12

I second "the other way to make fondant". I have been making the fondant from gelatin there are a couple of recipes here, they are pretty much all the same. I found that it turned out really white. Check my "pig-cow" cake in my photos. When I tried to make black with no chocolate I did run into some problems. HTH

sarascakecreations Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:53am
post #6 of 12

dsilvest... do you mind sharing a link to the website? I can't find it... not so good with the search tool.

lrlt2000.... where would I find wilton's white color? I haven't seen it at my local bulk barn or mccalls? (local cake shop)

sarascakecreations Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:57am
post #7 of 12

Sorry is this the white color you are talking about? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wilton-White-White-Icing-Color-2-oz-Jar-Cake-Decorating-/320674825321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa9b58469

If so it's like a liquid right?? Not a paste like the other colors? Would you mind telling me how much you added? Sorry I know it may be hard to gauge... but like do you add a few drops or like a full tsp or tbsp?? I make the normal MMF recipe.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #8 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2127/toba-garretts-fondant

Try Michaels if you can't find it at The Bulk Barn. Mine carries it. You might ask one of the employees if they carry it.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:21am
post #9 of 12

Also Hobby Lobbies around the midwest carry it and so do most Joann's fabric stores( they carry a lot of Wilton things and have classes). There are quite a few places on line that sell Wilton items, but I am betting there might be other white "coloring" available. I think it is so funny that there is a white color out there. Am I the only one?

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:06am
post #10 of 12

Sara add about a teaspoon to your marshmallows before you add the powdered sugar. you can always knead in more later

sarascakecreations Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 12

I did it and it looks awesome! Thanks so much.... you would think I could've figured this out lol... hhhmmm how do I get white fondant? duh! add white color LOL

Thanks!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:26am
post #12 of 12

Whenever I have made marshmallow Fondant it has always looked white to me so I guess that I would not have thought about the need for the white coloring. I guess that it depends on what you are comparing it to. There are many whites out there and until you have a whiter white to compare it to it can look pretty white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%