Just Chocolate No Theme Or Shape....just Chocolate Help!!

Decorating By evans000 Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 3:08pm by SarahBeth3

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 13

Hi guys i am doing a birthday cake for a brother and sister, the girls is simple but the boy just wants chocolate (no fondant which is what i normally use to cover the cake) i asked what he's interested in for a theme or shape but he just wants a round chocolate cake. I would happily do this but it will be added to my portfolio and i think it will look odd i was going to add maltesers (he actually likes these thank god) how can i make it interesting like an explosion, i will have to do the outside as choc buttercream and was going to melt some chocolate somewhere.

Do anybody have any ideas how to make it look interesting? (not even white chocolate i could of coloured its just milk chocolate brown brown brown all the way)

Do you have any links to our gallery of malteser cakes, there's far too many to look through it'll take me days so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Helen

12 replies
evans000 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 13

Ive just realised i can type malteser in search and it brings up all the malteser cakes in the gallery duh!! i'm so stupid but anyway theyre arent that many.

Still hoping for some ideas or web links

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 12:33am
post #5 of 13

Can you say chocolate ganache...perfect. Use the candy as a border. Put on some flowers for the girl...have several ganached cakes in my photos...love ganache over a great buttercream....yum

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 12:59am
post #6 of 13

What about putting the malt balls on the side of the cake all the way up and then a pile of large chocolate curls on the top?

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:23am
post #7 of 13

There is a chocolate cake on the Wilton website that looks amazing! I think it's supposed to be a wedding cake, but it's a chocolate cake iced in chocolate with a chocolate bowl on top filled with chocolate truffles. On those days I'm really craving chocolate it looks appetizing. The link is http://www.wilton.com/idea/Truffle-Tower. In case the link doesn't work it's called the Truffle Tower Cake. I don't think you could get any more chocolate than that cake.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:59am
post #8 of 13

I did a simple chocolate cake like this. All chocolate. Nothing else.

So, explore chocolate. Use chocolate buttercream, chocolate mousse, chocolate ganache, chocolate cookie crumbs, chocolate candies, chocolate bars, chocolate shavings, sprinkles etc.

My cake was chocolate cake, filled with mousse, frosted with whipped ganache, sides coated with crumbs, topped with fudge and angled wedges of chocolate....and a little gold dust.

The chocoholic freaked. Explore your dark side.

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:12am
post #9 of 13

You should try out molding chocolate, you can do lots of cool things with it. Or you could do chocolate panels & fill the middle with Maltesers

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #10 of 13

I like to make a chocolate buttercream and then take a hershey bat and make curls using a potato peeler.........its simple and looks nice, put a shell border around the top and bottom edges, and people who love chocolate will go crazy over thar pic....it doesnt always have to be over the top for people to love it....good luck........

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:58am
post #11 of 13

If he wants chocolate all the way, as a paying customer (assuming he is one!) that is what I would be tempted to give him.

Saying that though, I love this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1390863

Or if he is an adult (although Im guessing he is not) I would go the sophisticated chocolate route chocolate curls as others have suggested, cigarillos, chocolate leaves and just a touch of gold, eg two leaves among a whole pile of brown chocolate things on top of the cake.

A round chocolate cake completely covered in perfectly smooth ganache could look very impressive (not to mention yummy) with just a tiny piece of something in the middle of the top 1 mint leaf/raspberry/small chocolate coated strawberry/square of chocolate from a bar/his initial piped from white chocolate?

evans000 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 11:01am
post #12 of 13

Thanks guys some great ideas. I'll be doing it for the weekend so i'll upload a pic when its done x

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 13

I once did a poured ganache square cake for a young man with lines of Woppers (our version of the Maltesers) going diagonally across the top and down the sides. The rows were alternating in the milk chocolate and the white. Don't know if you could somehow translate this onto a round cake in all milk chocolate. Maybe something in a spiral?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%